When you decide to have a pretty kitten, you seldom think of problems such as keen-smelling tags all over the house. Urine kittens do not have too pungent smell, and they get used to the tray rather quickly. It would seem that now everything is in order. But by the beginning of puberty, the situation may change. To this must be prepared in advance. Today we talk about when the cats begin to mark the territory.
When you choose a pet
According to statistics, boys from the cat family are picked up more willingly. In this case, the owner will not have unwanted offspring, which is considered a great advantage. But few people take into account that cats have a strong instinct to mark their territory and declare themselves to the surrounding males and females. When this happens in a natural environment, or at least in the gardens of the private sector, the labels will be visible only to those to whom they are left. But in the apartment the heavy feline spirit will make the space unsuitable for life. Therefore, it is important to know in advance when the cats begin to mark the territory and take appropriate measures.
Instincts, not vices of education
It really is. What nature laid down is not given to us to change. But this is exactly what makes it possible to tell quite precisely when the cats begin to mark the territory. With the attainment of puberty, the cat is obliged to report this to all females and males. So he means that this territory has a host, and other males are ordered to enter it.
To do this, he raises his tail and slightly twitches, releasing a small amount of urine, pheromones and seminal fluid. This fragrant message contains information about the cat's age and its readiness to mate. If your pet constantly walks in the garden or on the street and leaves its tags on the trees, then they do not cause anyone any trouble. Much worse if he lives in an apartment. When cats begin to mark the territory, it becomes very difficult to live with them under the same roof, as well as to wean them from this habit.
They are quite conditional, and will differ depending on the breed, climatic conditions of habitat, nature of maintenance and nutrition. Despite this, there are average data. When it is said about at what age cats begin to mark the territory, then most often it means 8 months of age. By this time, the level of sex hormones in a young cat rises so that he unwittingly tries all the ways to find a partner. And of course, this list will include conscription calls and odorous marks on curtains, doors, and upholstered furniture.
It is not necessary to know exactly at what age cats begin to mark the territory. Just watch your pet carefully. With the onset of maturity in cats, there are some changes in behavior and appearance. They have clearly defined jaws, the whole body becomes more muscular. At the same time, the cat begins to show aggression towards other cats and mark the territory so that they do not capture it.
what can you do
Some owners believe that pet instincts are dull. In fact, they have them as strong as the wild representatives of the cat family. This is especially true of the breeding instinct. If you close the pet in the apartment, he will lose weight, refusing the proposed food. In addition, the animal will try to get out of the apartment, growling, climbing on the cabinets.
Therefore, the owner should think in advance about how many months the cat begins to mark, and by this age determine the order of actions. If you plan to use it for breeding, then you need to organize for him a free-range, when he can really satisfy his instincts. If this cannot be done, and there is no one to knit the cat with, or you did not plan to use it in breeding activities, then decide on the procedure of castration even before the cat began to leave odorous marks.
How else is the instinct of dominance
Usually he wakes up in cats with the onset of puberty. Not all individuals immediately declare themselves in the most radical way. Some instead rub against furniture, leaving their scent on it. With the same purpose, they claw at doors and furniture, as well as wallpaper. But when the cat starts marking the territory in the apartment, it outweighs all the inconveniences listed. Just a few days - and, going home, you just encounter an elastic stream of smell that does not give rest.
To explain to the pet that the owners of the house are the main ones, and not the cat at all, in most cases it will not work. But you can try to wean him from this habit. Once again, we note that this is not so easy. Instincts are the basis of the functioning of the psyche of animals, and they do not possess consciousness.
But what to do first of all after you have determined that the cat began to mark the territory? How to understand what is happening to him? The first step is to contact an experienced veterinarian. It is necessary to know for sure whether such behavior is a consequence of diseases of the urinary system. This usually requires an inspection and testing. If problems are identified, the specialist will prescribe an effective treatment.
The old way
As a child, we all taught kittens to use the tray? That's right, they caught the animal and poked its muzzle into a puddle. Therefore, choosing what to do if the cat began to mark the territory, many people remember this method. Unfortunately, it has several disadvantages. Kittens leave puddles unknowingly, and they are easily found. These are usually transparent pools on the floor. And, being sent to a convenient tray, in which you can also bury the waste products, they quickly get used to it.
An adult cat makes tags in a different way. He approaches the vertical surface and, raising his tail, throws out a small amount of a mixture of pheromones, sex hormones, urine and seminal fluid on it. It is very difficult to find this place, and it smells sweet in the whole house. If you managed to catch the criminal, catch him by the collar and shake him well. If the cat meowed plaintively, it means that he recognized you as the chief of the house. Labels may stop.
When the cat begins to mark the territory in the apartment, the owner is ready for anything to stop it. Supermarkets offer a huge selection of liquids and sprays, patches and similar products to scare away animals from their chosen place of interest. It is no secret that cats usually return to one or several favorite corners.
About the effectiveness of these funds can be a long time to argue. There is still likely to play a role and inclinations of your pet, and its sensitivity to a particular composition. Someone for these purposes rubs the corners with lemon, others sprinkle with black pepper.
Watching the tray visit
Be sure to take time and see how your pet behaves around it. If he:
- Forepaws puts on the edge of the tray or at all, they remain outside.
- Scrubbing is not a filler, but a mat on the floor.
- Do not bury the products of their vital functions in the contents of the tray.
All this suggests that he is uncomfortable using this device. You need to either pick up a larger tray, or change the filler. It happens that he is too big and does not like a pet.
If there are several cats in the house
In this case, it is even easier to answer the question when the cats begin to mark the territory of the house. As soon as you think of one of them. If a rigid hierarchy has already been established among the pets, this will be perceived by the others as a demonstration of strength and power. But most often at home individuals coexist peacefully, and have not had a good fight yet. Therefore, the answer to this challenge will be numerous tags throughout the house, from which any loving owner will get the most seditious thoughts. No, we do not call for throwing animals into the street. They need time to castrate, educate and accustom to the tray. Then the likelihood of such problems will be minimized.
Pet is under stress
If the cat began to mark relatively recently, then you need to remember what happened recently. Did the animal experience severe stress, fear, relocation or treatment by a veterinarian? If the owners ignore their pet, then he will try to get your attention. Even in this way. It happens, if a child is born to the owners, who before that loved his cat dearly.
Pet remains forgotten. Moreover, it starts to drive from the room where the baby is. In this situation, if an angry owner chases the cat, this can be perceived as an exciting game. Of course, until the assault begins. But even this is better than ignoring. Here you need to once again remember what time the cats begin to mark the territory of the house. If we are talking about a young cat, then, of course, this is most likely due to a hormonal surge and puberty. But if your pet is already several years old, and the problem has appeared for the first time, then you need to think about the reasons more deeply. So, in order to avoid excesses, you need to pay attention to your pet. That is, communicate with him, stroke and caress, play, keep on his knees.
Also takes place. In this case, the animal begins to leave tags, not because it wants to declare itself. Simply, he is extremely uncomfortable, and having staked the territory, the cat feels some relief. Now my home is my castle. Fear can be provoked by the prolonged absence of a beloved host or moving to a new place of residence, the disease and its treatment with intramuscular injections.
To eliminate this cause, you need to understand what the animal is afraid of. It is not so difficult if you spend enough time with your pet. Feeling your love and care, the pet will understand that it is under reliable protection.
It is not less peculiar to our pets than to people. They are big owners, and their owner, as well as their housing, do not want to share with strangers. Therefore, it is often painful to perceive the emergence of a new household. If your pet has always been distinguished by discipline (especially if it is already neutered), and now began to mark the house, then perhaps he makes it so clear to the new family member who is the boss. This may also apply to the situation of protracted repairs, when builders appear at home every day to perform various works.
Sometimes the jealousy of an animal can even cause an ordinary guest visit. Especially if he sees that the host has switched all attention to the guest, and he has been asked away. Today, veterinarians say that cats can even be jealous of gadgets when they see that their beloved owner spends all his time at a computer or tablet. Again, the best way to solve this problem will be a reasonable distribution of free time and attention. If your pet lives, you need to pay enough attention.
Instead of conclusion
You can answer with an approximate accuracy of how many cats begin to mark the territory. This is usually the age of 8 months, when they begin puberty. But some representatives may be 6-7 months, while others - 11-12. But if you do not want to face the problem of tags, then it is best to neuter the cat by 8 months. If tightened, your pet can start making tags. It will become a habit, and even after castration, he will not stop leaving them.
Do not ignore all other reasons. Very much also depends on how comfortable your pet is at home, how loved and protected he feels. There are many cases in which an uncastrated cat has lived for many years with its owner and has never been tagged at home. But after the death of the owner, he remained in the care of relatives who did not complain about him too much. That's where the problems started. The cat became harmful, they tried to slap him, bring him up, and he continued with double zeal to leave tags. At the same time, few people thought about how much this creation needs caress.
Time to leave marks: when does it start?
Do all cats tag and at what age do they begin to spray urine wherever they want? All individually - it depends on the breed, conditions, food. However, most often the active struggle for each free corner begins at about eight months.
As soon as cats matures, their desire to mark only increases. Not only does the pet's body change, but also its habits, the desire to dominate other males in the search for a female increases. In the character appears aggression towards rivals. The animal thinks that the struggle for territory is a matter of time, and starts to tag it. The result of such effort is the acrid smell of urine that occurs where the pet will lift the tail.
Such activity and unwillingness to re-educate is a cause for grief for many owners. They are used to seeing their cat as a cute animal, a fluffy ball, which causes exceptionally tender feelings. However, constant cleaning can turn love into hatred and tire even those who are not averse to walking around the house with a mop and rag.
Alas, this behavior is inevitable and quite natural for our four-legged friends. What time do cats start marking? As soon as puberty begins. It is this period that most owners are waiting with a shudder: they are already looking forward to the constant cleaning of the pet. The age of transition to adulthood is different for all breeds:
- For animals of the eastern group (Siamese, Oriental, Thai) - approximately 6 months.
- For Siberian, Maine Coon and other large pets - 7-9 months.
Why do cats tag in the apartment?
Photo from site: catspaw.ru
There are several reasons. Next we look at the main in detail.
- Breeding instinct - Marks in the corners indicate that your pet is looking for a cat. What to do in this case? You can try to scare away the animal with sharp odors - as a rule, they do not tolerate them. What can be applied? The list of “must have” will include whiteness, vinegar, lemon, as well as iodine and potassium permanganate. Another win-win option is ammonia. We wipe the place with the characteristic aromas of the place, which the pet has already managed to mark, or soak cotton wool tampons with them - after they are laid out on the path of the four-legged hunter. The disadvantage of this method is that smells disappear sooner or later, but the desire to leave its mark on history remains. It is also worthwhile to transfer the cat to a protein diet and take him to the vet - it is quite possible that he will recommend hormone therapy.
- Tried fear or discomfort - often stress or pain causes labels to appear. If the reason for this behavior was the fear of something, the own smell left everywhere, albeit unbearable for people, allows the pet to feel comfortable and calm. In this case, it is worth eliminating the source of the alarm by analyzing the situation and finding the “root” of the problem. It is necessary to spend more time with your pet, play with him and caress him, distracting from what may cause him excitement. Often the answer to the question of what to do if the cat began to mark, may be an appeal to the veterinarian. It is important to understand that often odorous traces are nothing more than an alarming signal that indicates an aggravated or just begun disease.
- Jealousy- Another significant reason to leave your urine everywhere - even in the master's shoes. The reason - the guests who detain the attention of the owner, a dog, another cat in the family, a small child. Cats feel very subtle the slightest changes in attitude towards themselves and are looking for exactly the atmosphere that will be as comfortable as possible. If they are not picked up, stroked, not spoken to them when they are demanding, they can only wait for unpleasant consequences. Or rectify the situation by calling the animal, pampering it with a snack and proving its complacency.
Photo from site: usatiki.ru
- Boredom- this reason smoothly follows from the previous one. If the owner does not want to play, he goes gloomy and does not call for his hands, the pet becomes bored. The entertainment he chooses may not be to your liking. How to understand that the cat leaves traces solely because he has nothing to do? He prefers personal things owner - for example, shamelessly attached to your laptop or favorite sweater. How to nullify boredom? It is very simple - to start to pay attention, resume games in your free time and do not forget that your pet is a family member, whose interests must be respected.
- Territory protection - imagine that you are a cat. The whole apartment is your undivided possession. But then a small child appears in it, and he is perceived as one who wants to take your place. Или в гости приходят соседи, чья одежда пропахла другим животным – а это прямое посягательство на кошачью собственность. Выход один – показать, где пролегают ее границы, высказать свое «фи» и доказать, кто в доме хозяин. Как избавить питомца от дурной привычки в этом случае? Необходимо показать, что вы – вожак.It is you who establish the orders and indicate how you can behave, but how not to. Change the lisping to rigor and put the insolent in place.
The methods that we described above will help you understand how to stop a cat from marking the territory in an apartment. In many cases, you will be faced with pet aggression. However, this is not a reason to abandon your own intentions to rehabilitate a pet - read our article on how to extinguish the outbreak of anger, and achieve your own, without using radical measures. Remember that the punishment will not work - you need to build a certain strategy (without the use of violence and screams), which will work in your case.
Why does the cat mark at home
In contrast to the process of urination, the labeling of the territory is a special act in which the male secretes a small portion of urine for the purpose of its identification. Such a ritual is performed on animals, as a rule, on vertical surfaces: walls, furniture, household items, entrance doors. Pets with access to the street mark trees, plants, fences, etc.
Often, the owners mistakenly believe that this behavior of the animal is due to the fact that the cat intentionally misbehaves because of its harmful nature or resentment for any action on the part of the household. Such an opinion has nothing to do with the true nature of this phenomenon.
Before you begin to decide how to wean the cat to mark the territory in the house, the owner should understand the reason for this behavior. In the course of evolutionary development, wild ancestors of domestic cats developed their own mechanism of self-preservation.
Possessing an excellent sense of smell, animals feel the smells of strangers far away. It is thanks to the individual smell that the beasts identify themselves in a certain area.
Protection of their territory is necessary for representatives of the cat family in terms of survival. The animal must protect its space from the encroachments of other relatives, to provide themselves with food. Being territorial predators by nature, domestic cats have not lost their natural instincts and comfortable living conditions.
Despite the fact that the fluffy homebody has free access to food and clean water, many pets are hard at marking their territory. Knowing the behavior of animals, the owner in the question of how to wean the cat to mark, must understand that this phenomenon is associated with very ancient and persistent natural instincts.
The ability to leave territorial labels have not only individuals of the male sex. Cats, though rarely, can also show the ancient instincts of self-preservation. Such a phenomenon is often observed if another animal appears in the house. An old-timer thus demarcates the territory, showing the novice who is in charge of the house.
Many zoologists and feline experts argue that the reason for the tags in the apartment is the animal's attempt to occupy a dominant position in the inhabited territory. Thus, the male tries to assert himself, perceiving the household as his relatives.
Often, the reason that the animal leaves its “business card” on household items, walls and furniture of the dwelling is stress and fear. Being in a state of psycho-emotional stress, the pet tries to “stake out” its familiar territory and protect itself from both real and imaginary enemies.
Wean mark young pet
If a young animal lives in the house, it will be useful for the owner to know in advance what to do so that the cat does not mark the territory. First of all, the animal begins to perform such annoying household actions at the age of 6 to 10 months. Small kittens before puberty do not mark territory. Therefore, the owner should carefully observe the appearance of signs of puberty in a young male.
It is almost impossible to prevent the manifestation of natural instincts, but proper education of a pet from the first days of his stay in the house will help to avoid negative behavior in the future.
First of all, a little kitten must be clearly made to understand who is in charge at home. You should not bring up an animal in permissiveness, it will confirm the young male that he is the leader.
Finding that the cat marks the territory, how to deal with it worries every owner. In case the animal is young, it is often pushed by the lack of attention from the household to leave the tags. Being constantly alone, a pet can attract the attention of a natural mechanism known to him - put tags on furniture, household items, the owner's things. So the animal is trying to attract attention with the means available to it.
If the reason for the cat tag is boredom and loneliness, the owner should make an effort and pay enough attention. In the absence of the owner of the house it is advisable to purchase a game complex, leave the cat toys.
The owner should understand that neither the screams, nor the assault, nor the throwing of slippers and other objects into the cat will have any positive effect. On the contrary, the animal is affirmed in the thought that its self-preservation is a threat, and the actions for leaving tags will become more active. Therefore, in the case of weaning the male from behavior that is unprecedented from the household's point of view, there should be no power effects.
About what to do to a cat not methyl territory, look in this video:
We bring up an adult cat
In that case, if we are talking about an adult sexually mature male, the question of how to wean the cat to mark the territory in the apartment becomes relevant. Most often, the pet leaves tags in the period of sexual activity - in spring and summer. This is due to an increase in the concentration of sex hormones in the spring-summer period, with an increase in the length of daylight hours.
In the fall and winter, the mature male marks its territory less frequently, which is due to the peculiarity of its biological clock. One of the methods of influencing a pet is to keep him in a darkened room.
Help to reduce undesirable manifestations of the natural self-preservation instinct will help hygienic measures when detecting tags. Objects, furniture, marked animals, should first be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
Do not use bleach based bleach for flat cleaning.
For this purpose, suitable solutions based on vinegar, citric acid, which not only disinfect, but also neutralize the smell. If the surface is not glossy, ordinary baking soda will handle the smell perfectly.
Since the cat tags have a sharp and unpleasant smell, it is necessary to kill the "flavor" of the cat. For this purpose, special means are used in the form of sprays, for example, “Zoosan”, “Dezosan”, “Mr. Fresh ”and others. From improvised means fit aromatic oils of lavender, orange, rosemary. In extreme cases, you can use men's toilet water or women's perfume.
Experienced breeders and veterinary specialists recommend cat owners The following measures are warning cat tags:
- Castration - The most effective method of prevention, provided that the operation to remove the sex glands is done before puberty begins.
- Upbringing - less effective method in the fight against tags. However, if the pet has not laid the strong leadership qualities of the male by nature, then proper upbringing can play a key role in the prevention of feline tags.
- Permanent residence in the house of an individual of the opposite sex. The presence of an unsterilized cat does not guarantee that the cat will cease to mark the territory, moreover, there is a big problem with the offspring.
Unfortunately, there is no one hundred percent method for the prevention of leaving tags with a cat. You can fight with the natural manifestations of the instinct in an uncastrated animal by resorting to educational and hygienic measures.
Castration: will it help?
If the cat marks in the house, what should the owner do in this case? Veterinary specialists and experienced breeders reasonably believe that castration is one of the most effective measures to prevent the phenomenon of cat tags. In the event that the animal does not belong to the sought-after producers of a particular breed, control of sexual behavior through the operation would be the best option.
However, there are nuances in this issue. If the pet is castrated in adulthood, then for some time the male can still mark objects in the apartment.
This phenomenon is observed due to the fact that the level of sex hormones is declining gradually after surgery. Therefore, even a neutered cat after a few months can "mark" the old memory.
The age at which the animal is operated on is important in the prevention of tagging. If castration is performed before puberty of a young male (up to 6-7 months), then it can be said with confidence that the pet will not mark the territory. If a mature cat is subjected to the operation, then much will depend on its hormonal status.
Feline tags are a manifestation of the instincts of animal self-preservation set by nature. To prevent a negative phenomenon is quite difficult. The only way to combat territorial marks in cats is early castration to the signs of puberty. In adults, it is impossible to completely eliminate undesirable behavior. To the aid of the owner comes the proper education and hygiene measures.
Why cats tag in the apartment
Before starting a pet, it is desirable for the owner to get basic information about him: at what age cats start marking their territory, how and what cats label territory, what food and additives to use throughout life, how to care for animals, how to carry out procedures related to personal hygiene.
The owners often ask veterinarians what time the cats begin to mark the territory. This age may vary depending on the breed. Pets start to leave their tags from 7 months.
Understand that the cat began to mark very simple. His urine will stink all the objects on the floor and corners of the premises. You need to monitor whether the pet shakes its tail when it comes to walls or objects. If this happens, it should be scolded at this moment.
There are a number of reasons why cats mark territory.
Protection of the territory is considered to be the main reason, as it is one of the pet's basic instincts. Being present in the house or in the apartment, the cat realizes that these are his possessions.
If strangers (a child, guests, workers) appear in his domain, he will try to show his “I” and mark the territory. In order to wean him from manifesting his “I,” the owner should show himself as the master. It is important to understand that you want to remove the caress from the relationship to the cat and switch to severity.
A pet may be jealous of its owner to children, guests or colleagues and because of this, mark all his things. If clothes smell of other pets, this is also an irritable factor. Grievance will cause tags in shoes or clothing. To remedy the situation, it takes more time to give the cat and more often pamper him with his favorite delicacies.
During periods when the male is looking for a female, his behavior changes and he can start marking corners and things located on the floor.
To wean a pet from this, you need to frighten him with foreign smells. For this, the labeled places must be treated with ammonia, lemon juice, potassium permanganate or vinegar. In addition to this, veterinarians advise to transfer the male to a protein diet or to take to a veterinary clinic.
The fact that diseases and injuries are the reason for leaving a mark with a cat is indicated by discharge with blood. These can be mechanical damage to the bladder or excretory canal, kidney disease, or the urinary system.
If the pet is afraid of someone from the household or it is frightened by other extraneous factors, you need to show more affection and care to him.
A cat can leave traces on the owner's personal belongings if he does not pay him proper attention, plays a little and does not indulge his favorite delicacies.
What to do if the cat is tagging
If everything is clear with males, then the question arises whether cats mark territory and if so, why. There are several reasons due to which the female can start marking the territory around her.
A cat may tag during estrus. Outside odors will help fix this problem, however, veterinarians cannot guarantee a 100% result. Jealousy, manifested to the owner. can also cause tags. Often, the problem arises due to severe stress or mechanical injury.
When the cat shakes its tail at the corners of the room, it can be determined that she has started to walk and is looking for a male. In order for the female to leave no “marks,” it is necessary to begin treatment or perform sterilization.
But even after sterilization, the cat may continue to leave tags.
To understand how to wean the cat to mark, you can visit the veterinary clinic.
Wean mark the young pet
After buying a kitten, you need to understand that from the age of six months, she can begin to put tags. Because of this, you need to know in advance how to deal with this problem before it occurs. If it is extremely difficult to wean an adult pet without surgery, then you can deal with a kitten without castration.
If the cat began to mark the territory, it is necessary to show severity and show who is the owner of the room. Kittens are very susceptible to rudeness and it is easy for them to leave a psychological trauma due to improper handling.
If they do little with the kitten, do not show interest and attention to him, he can start putting marks. You can fix the situation with games, affection and care.
How to wean an adult cat to mark the territory in the apartment
The most popular question is what to do if the cat marks in the apartment and it is not a young pet. An adult animal is not so easily trained and can leave tags in spite of its owner. To stop this behavior of an adult cat, you can go two ways:
- The use of substances with a pungent odor. You can buy a chemical agent in a pet store or use vinegar, potassium permanganate, ammonia, lemon juice. Do not treat corners with chlorine-based solution.
- Castration will help. However, after cutting off the cords that bind the testes, the pet may continue to tag their possessions.
Tip! In extreme cases, you can use women's or men's perfume with a persistent smell.
What to do if a neutered cat marks
Often, there are situations when the cat continues to mark after castration. It is required to find out the reasons and, based on the information received, to choose the way after which he will cease to put labels.
The reasons why a neutered cat is marking:
- After castration, 1–3 months passed. This time is not enough for full rehabilitation.
- The operation was done when the pet is already 1 year old.
- The animal can mark the possession and after castration. Especially in situations when another animal appears in the house.
- Problems with the work of the kidneys, the reproductive system. Frequent stress, excessive excitement.
First of all, the owner must make it clear to the animal that he is in charge of the apartment or house. It will be enough rigor and light clicks on the nose.
So that the pet does not continue to leave marks, it is necessary to neutralize the smell of its urine in the corners and on various objects.
How to get rid of the smell of cat tag
If the cat marked the bag, furniture, shoes, clothes, carpet or any object located on the floor, the owners will have a question about how to remove the smell. There are a number of products that can remove the acrid smell:
- Vinegar is suitable for different surfaces.
- Manganese must be checked in advance not in place of the mark, but on the invisible part of the object. If traces remain, you need to choose another way to get rid of the smell.
- Hydrogen peroxide. It is impossible to apply on surfaces varnished.
- Soda. It is applied on any surfaces except glossy. It is necessary to wash the marked place and wait 10 minutes.
- Laundry soap.
- Lemon juice.
There are also professional tools for removing pungent odors. If a person does not know how to clean cat urine or is afraid to damage the surface, you should go to the hardware store and purchase ready-made solution. It is advisable to remove valuables in cabinets or on the top shelves.
So that the pet doesn’t start marking corners and things in the house, it is required to educate him properly, monitor the state of health of a cat or cat, pay more attention.
If the cat began to mark the territory, you can correct the situation without castration, however, surgery will help to solve the problem more effectively. The combination of preventive actions will help to avoid surgery.
What if the cat is tagging in the apartment?
Photo from the site: VashiPitomcy.ru
How to get rid of the problem once and for all? There is only one truly effective solution - castration, carried out before puberty. Yes, most owners are afraid of this option - how can you send an animal to such a barbaric and humiliating operation for it? Однако факты говорят исключительно «за» своевременное удаление семенников – и вот какие преимущества стоит учитывать:
- Первое и самое важное – кот перестанет метить территорию, портить одежду и обувь, оставлять пахучие следы на мебели.
- Второй плюс – весной вас не будут беспокоить душераздирающие крики самца, пытающегося урезонить своего соперника или подозвать самку.
- Третье достоинство этой плановой операции – снижение уровня агрессии. Earlier angry and irritable cat will be gentle and obedient.
- Also, veterinarians indicate that neutered animals live much longer than those to whom the owners, in the goodness of their soul, saved the sex glands. The nature of the pet is changing for the better and remains playful and fun until old age.
- Removing the testes is also a great way to keep your purr safe. In adult non-castated cats, there is a high risk of developing a tumor and prostate adenoma, the occurrence of various infections. Agree, to prevent their appearance is much easier than to treat a pet again and again.
So, if you do not intend to look for a spouse for your Barsik or Boris, you cannot put up with the disgusting smell emanating from carpet, linoleum, sneakers and other things that caught the eye of an animal, and the desire to live in a clean and comfortable house without odorous tags - castration. So you save the cat from the torment when searching for a female and stop cleaning for the slightest reason.
By the way, a similar operation exists for cats - this is sterilization. It helps to get rid of most of the problems faced by the owners of these graceful pets during estrus. More information about the need to remove the ovaries from the female and the rules for preparing for surgery can be read here.
Why does a neutered cat mark territory: what if the operation did not help?
This also happens: there are no testes, and the animal still brings only trouble to the owners, settling in to go to the toilet in places that are not intended for that. Sometimes the reason for this behavior is not the same. Let us analyze the main ones in order to find a way out of the situation:
- Will the cat mark after castration? Yes, if its physiology is different from the anatomical structure of other pets. We are talking about such features as cryptorchidism - in this case, the testicles (one or both) are not located in the scrotum, but hidden under the skin - hidden in the groin area or in the abdominal cavity. Such an animal should be taken to an experienced veterinarian - a young specialist may not find the sex glands. Hence the consequences - the hormone testosterone is still released, which means that the cat will continue to do its job, even after the removal of one testicle.
Photos from the site: Pitomets.ru
- Do neutered cats mark territory? Yes, if the operation was performed at a respectable age. In other words, an old man came to the reception and was accustomed to leaving his footprints all over the apartment, and even surgery would not be able to wean him. In the brain of an animal there is a center of memory, which is responsible for the preservation of those most dominant signs, prompting one more time to bypass their possessions and leave odorous marks. A way out of this situation is to contact a veterinarian in a timely manner.
- The presence of other pets is another reason not to be forgotten. Especially if all four-legged tenants are males. In this case, the multiple tracks are a natural struggle for a dominant position. Animals smell their rival neighbors and try not to give in to them.
So, we answered the question of whether cats in the apartment mark after castration, however, we still haven’t said what to do in such a situation. There are several options:
- The first is to remove the remaining testicle, if the cryptorchidism of the pet has been confirmed. To do this, take your pet to a proven specialist - experience with such congenital anomalies plays a big role. It depends on him the successful outcome of the operation.
- The second is the use of special drugs that frighten cats and discourage them from marking in the apartment. Spray "Antigadin" - one of these tools. For most owners, this is a real magic wand, but each case is different - a positive effect may not follow.
- The third is an appeal to a zoopsychologist. It will help to change behavioral reactions, suppress the desire to leave their marks on the furniture, floor and clothes and save the pet from the habit of going to the toilet anywhere, but not in the tray.
- The fourth - sometimes a change of apartment helps. These are extreme measures - hardly anyone wants to move because of the smell, which will disappear after cleaning. However, in some cases, a change in the range really leads to a complete rejection of the desire to confirm its dominant position.
In this article, we talked about when (at what age) cats begin to mark the territory, what are the causes of this unpleasant phenomenon for their owners and what should those who do not want to put up with the persistent smell of urine in an apartment do. Universal Council does not exist - an individual approach is needed. However, a better method of solving the problem than castration during puberty has not yet been invented.
What is a label
Some are firmly convinced that only cats can mark the territory, but cats can also do this, sterilized, especially during estrus.
If this was not one case, you need to think. If the cat wants to be emptied, it takes a sitting position, while more so during the emptying of the liquid than during baking. This may indicate a disease of the urination of the animal, so be sure to start with a trip to the vet.
But the cat does not always mark the territory above in the induced manner. It can leave a mark on the claws, which will also give off a certain smell. Also, cats begin to mark the corners and pieces of furniture - for this they rub against them.
If the pet has got into the habit of doing its wet business, there may be a definite reason for this. For example, a stressful situation due to relocation, repair. This is due to the fact that the pet wants to return its place.
In order to wean your cat from the desire to mark in this case, it is recommended to give it a separate place, creating conditions there which are convenient for it. If he feels in a safe environment, he will most likely stop doing it.
During the marking of the territory, cats differ in a certain pose, it looks like this:
- They are back to the place they want to mark,
- Then raise the tail,
- Then a small amount of secretion is released, which is mixed with urine (it has a very unpleasant odor),
- During this time, the tail of the cat is characteristicly twitching.
Cats begin to mark territory after full development. This period falls on the age of 7-8 months. During maturation in cats begins estrus, which is the reason for the desire of other pets to mark.
Among the reasons are:
- If the animal marks, it shows that it is in the first place and does not allow rivalry.
- During the heat of the females, they mark the area to attract their attention.
- The appearance of a new pet in the apartment, as there is a rival.
- Also, due to the rivalry, the cat marks in the apartment near the entrance doors, as it senses other cats that are outside.
What to do depending on the reasons
It is necessary to get rid of the problem based on the reasons, namely:
- The desire to reproduce. If the cat wants to mate, he marks to attract females. You should use the means at hand. It is necessary to wipe the places with vinegar, lemon, ammonia, whiteness, potassium permanganate or iodine. You can also soak cotton pads or tampons with these agents, and then put them on the marking sites. They scare animals well, but only until they smell sharply. You can also purchase professional tools. It is important that protein foods predominate in the diet.
- Feeling of fear, pain. If the pet is afraid of something, it marks in order to feel comfortable. It is necessary to understand why the cat is afraid: the emergence of a new object or the appearance of a living being. Then it is recommended to eliminate the cause. You also need to distract the pet, giving him more time: play with him, buy him a new toy or treats.
Perhaps the cat has something sore, which is why it so diligently attracts attention to itself. Here you will need specialized veterinary assistance.
- Jealousy. The reason may be the guests who came with their favorite. It can also be if a new pet has appeared in the family. The cat shows that he does not like it and tries to attract attention and marks the place, showing the uncomfortableness of such a situation. To do this, you need to pay more attention to the cat: play with it, scratch behind the ear, etc.
- Boredom. Often the owners are very busy and do not pay attention to the hints of the animal, so he moves to a more efficient way - tagging. A characteristic feature of this reason is tagging of personal things of the owner. To do this, you need to pamper your pet with delicious, buy a toy, take it in your arms.
- Territory protection. This is the most difficult option, since it is rather difficult to take measures here. This may begin because of a rearrangement in the house, and he will not like it. Also because of the appearance of the child. The reason may be the usual neighbor, who smelled of another cat. Therefore, he wants to mark everything in order to show who is in charge of this territory. This is inherent in very capricious and arrogant pets, who show who arranges the order in the apartment. Among the effective methods is the imitation of hissing, snorting, hitting with paws, which resemble a fight with an opponent. But not the fact that it will help.
How to remove the unpleasant odor
Immediately after tagging, the label must be washed out, because the smell is very eaten into pieces of furniture.
Even if the cat stopped marking, the smell remains for a long time. And the smell can be the reason that he can start his own business again. To clean the place, it is best to use enzymes and active detergents.. It is strictly forbidden to use solutions containing ammonia, because it is very similar to urine.
The place you want to mark, you need to rub naphthalene or lemon. You can also use your own perfume.
Handy tools to get rid of the smell
- The easiest way is vinegar diluted in water. It has the ability to completely remove the smell not only of urine, but also of secretions emitted during the marks. You can use it on any surface, but you need to pay attention to the fact that some places may then smell like vinegar. It is also recommended to use chlohexidine before using vinegar, fill the surface with it, and then blot with paper towels.
- Not bad helps Festal in pills. They need to crush and pour into a glass of water at room temperature. After complete dissolution of the tablets, you can handle the place where the animal marks, and then also blot with a paper towel. Then you can use the usual means of washing the floor or dishes to remove the smell of pills.
- No less effective way - potassium permanganate. It is necessary to make a solution of a medium degree, without leaving any grains, as they leave stains on the surface. Before using the solution you need to wash the place with detergent, which is in the house. Then you need to wipe the place, leaving it wet and leave for 10 minutes. Then the place is wiped dry.
- Vodka is also a very effective method in removing odor, especially from carpet and upholstered furniture. Of course, the smell of vodka remains, but after airing and washing with detergent, it disappears completely.
- This method helps even from the smell of skunk. To do this, wash the place with a solution of vinegar, and then allow to dry. Then on the territory you need to pour soda and drop a little peroxide. At first, it will smell like ammonia. Then the place must be left for half a day and wiped with a rag.
Folk ways of dealing with tagging
As soon as the owner noticed the cat's desire to mark the territory, it is necessary to lift it, taking it by the scruff. Then you need to wait until the cat takes the position of the kitten. After that, so that the cat is not methyl, it is necessary to turn on the actor a little. To do this, you must follow these steps:
- You need to make a formidable look and start to hiss like a cat. A hiss should resemble the phrase "fshi". It is better to do this for a long time without interruptions. It should be as scary as possible.
- The next step is to imitate a cat fight. It is necessary to remember how the paws strike the opponent's face. But you need to repeat the movement with your fingers, but gently, so that the pet is not injured.
- During the movements, it is necessary to depict anger, but to do so as believably as possible, otherwise he may feel a deception. Emotion of the owner gives out a smell, a voice.
- A prerequisite is to look into the eyes of an animal, not averting for a moment, because the first who took it, admits his loss.
To wean the cat to mark, you need to lightly beat his fingers on the face, hiss and look into the eyes until he starts making a squeak and turn his eyes to the side. After that, it is the owner who becomes the chief of the family.and the cat must obey. There is a risk that it may not help the first time, if the pet is very much wayward. In that case, you need to repeat the action several times.
At what age cats and cats begin to mark the territory
First, consider what a cat tag is. The inhabitants associate the unpleasant process with the reluctance to go to the tray.
Manipulations of the bully also differ from actions when emptying the bladder.
When urinating cats sit down, dropping the tail.
As cats matures, their desire to tag only increases.
Labels are usually left on a vertical surface. To do this, the monkey turns around his booty, straightens the hind limbs as much as possible so that the jet hits as high as possible. Then he makes movements with his tail, resembling shaking, and at the same time he sprays a spewing jet.
So the creatures communicate with each other, getting the necessary amount of information of interest (physical condition, readiness for mating, territorial status).
It is impossible to take into account all the nuances associated with the emission of fetid fountains. Separate individuals manifest themselves at a young age (2-3 months). Infantile creatures start much later. Affect personal qualities, predisposition of the body, the speed of development. In 75% of puberty occurs upon reaching 7-8 months. It is then formed the ability to spray jet.
And what time do cats start to mark? As soon as puberty begins.
The reasons why cats tag in the house
Consider the causes of unfortunate misunderstanding:
- Sexual attraction. It ranked first. An effective way to solve the problem is castration. It is allowed to perform an operation to remove the testes after the kitten has reached the age of six months. If the male has not previously experienced a natural call, it may not put a tag in the future. As for adult lovelovers who know the charms of love, they can re-gush again for three months after the execution. There is a change in hormonal levels. Corrective drugs are not recommended during the recovery period. The operation itself causes a serious shock to the body. If after the specified time the situation has not changed, contact your veterinarian. Perhaps the reason is different.
- Not enough attention. If a person does not devote time to a pet, does not react to the signs given, he will proceed to decisive actions. The mischievous person spoils the things belonging to the owner, a berth, a favorite chair. When this reaches its goal, the owner is experiencing the strongest emotions. To solve the problem, it is necessary to revise the attitude, to devote time for outdoor games, caresses. Prove to the offended that he is loved and appreciated.
- Fear. The feeling of fear contributes to a fetid manifestation. If you have your own smell, the little pantie feels safe. It is advisable to find the source or reduce its impact. It is useful to pay extra time to the ward, to distract with exercise. Faster forget about the frightening effects.
- Physical discomfort. Experiencing pain, the representatives of the cat family attracted the attention of marks. Exit - take to the clinic for diagnosis and treatment.
- Jealousy. The appearance of guests, especially those staying for several days, of new family members leads to the reaction in question. Increased concern for the person or animal hurts the proud owner. The problem is resolved by returning the location. Show that the attitude has changed. Realizing the inappropriateness of anxiety, the complaint creation will stop the tricks.
- Fight for territory. It is characteristic when living in private houses or holiday villages. Bypassing the boundaries of possession, the warrior daily leaves tags that enclose his open spaces. The fight is useless. It happens that the beast defends a place under the sun and in a dwelling. The reason - the acquisition of another sofa, moving the ottoman, or replacing the bedspread on your favorite chair. Predict action impossible. Again, the only way out is to show attentiveness and rigorous care. Punishing in this situation is meaningless.
However, an emasculated specimen does not behave much less often; the emitted liquid practically has no smell.
Raises the back, shakes the tail, but the liquid does not emit. For the owner - it is an occasion to think that does not suit the striker.
Folk remedies in the fight against tagging in the apartment
Consider what to do at home to prevent unpleasant messages:
- Caring attitude. Помимо кормления и ухода за питомцем, важно уделяемое время для общения. Совместные игры целесообразно чередовать со спокойными занятиями. Ласкать, хвалить, гладить, показывать, насколько существо дорого и любимо.
- Встречные метки. Очередной способ борьбы. Переметить излюбленные места озорника своим запахом. В дело сгодятся туалетная вода, дезодорант, ароматизатор воздуха. As an option, wipe the cat tricks with stale linen.
- Lay the foil around the perimeter of the dwelling. Bullies do not like to attack her.
- Treat corners and other surfaces with lemon juice. A harsh smell frightens offenders.
- Sprinkle liquid with pheromone of feline happiness in a pet store. Normalizes the psychological state, eliminates the desire to mark.
What to do if the methods used do not help
There is a non-standard method of dealing with tags. Since wild cats tend to live in the pride, one male leads the community. Others obey the leader.
No matter how funny the following actions look like - clarity of reproduction guarantees success.
As soon as the bully planned to spray the stream, pick up the scruff at head level. Making a hissing sound and looking into the cat's eyes, lightly slap his face with the fingers of his hand, without hurting him. It is required to bring the male to consciousness that the host is embittered. If the pet breaks out, ask for help to keep the bully.
To continue the manipulation until the pupil starts to mewl plaintively and withdraws his gaze. This will be a signal of humility. Forced measures are carried out until the recalcitrant being is aware of weakness.
The primary task of the owner - careful observation of the behavior of the pet. Psychological factors identified at the initial stage (fear, jealousy, lack of attention, etc.) will allow the conditions of restraint to be adjusted and the problem to be solved.