For a long time, foil or parchment paper has been used for baking. This material is used for packaging dishes, gifts, food. In the latter case, the parchment has found wide application in everyday life due to the fact that it does not skip fat, so it will not allow the cake to stick to the baking sheet or mold. This will allow the hostess not to waste time on washing dishes after baking cakes or cookies, plus culinary masterpieces retain their aesthetic shape.
What is parchment paper?
The baking paper is made from porous filter paper. It is treated with a weak solution of sulfuric acid. This technique allows to partially destroy cellulose and clog pores. This makes the parchment waterproof. It is important to remember that in the manufacture of such material raw materials are subject to forced drying. The main advantages of roll sheets:
- through them air exchange is carried out,
- resistant to high temperatures
- moisture and greaseproof
- retain their wet properties
- environmentally friendly material
- can be used in baking more than once.
How does it look
Applications of parchment are very wide, for example, in the furniture, clothing industry, fast food, household, and medicine. In appearance, this material is thin and transparent, depending on the scope of its application, it is divided into the following types:
Brand name parchment
Production of multilayer packaging. When filtering, lamination.
Maintains a temperature of 230 ° C.
For packaging medications.
You can pack a dressing.
Food storage for up to 30 days.
Packaging material for long-term storage of products.
For packaging non-fatty foods.
It is easy to apply printed images to paper, it can be laminated, metallized, laminated.
Household chemicals packaging.
Can be used for packaging cosmetics.
What do they do
Baking paper is produced in a rag paper factory in which only organic matter is present. To dissolve the cellulose membrane of plant cells, special reagents are used. Thanks to this technology, the partially dissolved cell wall is deposited in the pores of the parchment and makes such products strong and waterproof.
What is needed
Main application options:
- Paper for baking in the oven can be represented by different materials, for example, tracing paper. It is considered fragile, it not only sticks to the biscuit, but also quickly becomes saturated with moisture. If the dish is cooked in the oven for several hours, the tracing paper may crumble or become brittle. Such paper before use in cooking is pre-lubricated with fat.
- Smooth universal baking parchment has a thin silicone coating, so it does not stick to cooked dishes. These sheets do not need to be lubricated, they do not allow moisture and grease to pass through. They can be used repeatedly, they withstand high temperatures.
- Durable brown paper for baking is used for baking dishes from any kind of dough. It absorbs fat well, but if the pastry is not greasy, then the parchment is pre-lubricated with oil.
- Silicone parchment paper has a double coating, because of this price is higher than that of cheap analogues. Expensive material has a three-dimensional structure of roasting, plus a special air gap. In appearance brown, on sale has the appearance of sheets.
Buy parchment paper in a roll can be in any supermarket. Manufacturers on the package indicate the recommendations for use. It is important to remember that if silicone is included in the composition, then the parchment can be used more than once, and if it contains only cellulose, then this is a one-time option. If the packaging indicates that the parchment can only be used for baking, then you can not bake meat or vegetables in it - you can spoil the food.
Dense parchment for reusable use is used to prepare only the same dishes. For example, after roasting meat, you cannot use the same material for sweet pastries and vice versa. Parchment is also used to roll thin dough, often rolled sheets are used for different types of short pastry, meringue. Such material is also used to lay cooked dishes on it.
What can replace baking paper
Where to buy parchment paper for baking? This question asks every housewife who needs to bake something. Although, if necessary, you can find a replacement for such paper, for example, drawing tracing paper or A4 paper will be suitable - they need to be oiled. You can use food parchment, which is used in supermarkets for packaging food or foil. How to replace parchment paper when baking? This question interests many. If there was nothing at hand, then instead of parchment, you should sprinkle breadcrumbs on the greasy baking sheet, and the dough on top.
How to use baking paper
Parchment paper is widely used for baking air dough in a slow cooker. Cover the bowl should be so that the sheets peeking after pouring mass. After baking and cooling, holding the edges of the parchment, you can correctly remove the fragile, airy product, plus the paper will not allow baking to burn. In this way, they bake biscuit dough for different confectionery products.
Do I need to lubricate the oil
Sometimes the housewives do not know whether to grease the paper before pouring the batter on a baking sheet? If you used the subparchment and there is no silicone layer, it is best to lubricate. In appearance, such paper resembles drawing tracing paper. The cost of parchment without a silicone layer is several times lower. Many housewives when baking pizza using baking paper, buttered. They roll dough on it and bake.
Which side to put on the baking sheet
Instead of parchment, you can use foil, but you need to know which side to place it on the baking sheet. Before tearing off a piece of foil, you need to know the approximate size of the baking sheet, then grease it with oil on both sides and line it with either side. Although many housewives argue that the glossy side, in contact with the dough, improves cooking, forming a ruddy crust. Instead of foil, you can use parchment, which is placed on a baking tray with the smooth side up.
So what can replace baking paper?
- Regular office paper A4, which is used for printing. It has sufficient strength and dense structure, therefore it will withstand elevated temperatures and forms a protective layer between the bottom of the mold and the dough inside it. But before using the paper, it is necessary to lubricate it well with oil so that it becomes saturated. And it is desirable to use butter, but softened, as melted it will provoke wetting of the leaf and make it brittle, which further will lead to damage and destruction of cellulose fibers. And in order to reliably protect baked goods, you can lay the form with several sheets stacked on top of each other. In any case, the bottom should be completely closed.
- At home, use the paper from which the bags are used, used in pastry shops or bakeries (this material has a gray-brown tint). It is dense and durable, withstands thermal effects and is not deformed, so it can protect the cake, cake or cookies from burning. If desired, this paper can be further oiled.
- Try to cover the bottom of the mold or pan with foil. Although it is designed for slightly different purposes, it is still quite suitable for baking, especially if the quality of the container leaves much to be desired. But, first, such material must be durable and have sufficient thickness, since thin can stick and tear. Secondly, lay the foil glossy side up, and matte - to the bottom of the form. In this case, the risks of burning will be reduced. In addition, contacting the frosted layer with food can lead to oxidation and taste change. If the foil is thin, then roll it up. And if such material is folded in several layers, then with its help it is possible to give certain contours to baking, for example, to form edges or to reduce the bottom in comparison with the upper part.
- Housewives who are aware of advanced culinary technologies are surely familiar with such a modern device as a silicone mat. It looks like a thin elastic sheet, in structure resembling rubber. If this rug to lay the bottom of the form, the dough is unlikely to burn. A smooth texture will reduce the likelihood of sticking of the finished baking and make it easier to extract it from the container. But cut ready-made cakes or pies on such devices can not be, because they can be damaged.
- Sewing or stationery tracing paper will fit in perfectly. It is also quite durable, although it is transparent. But such material should be absolutely clean, not marked up and not lined. Before use, you can lightly smear tracing paper with butter, but only slightly, otherwise the strength will decrease.
- Another achievement of culinary science is the so-called silicone paper, which can be found in the dishes and kitchen utensils. It is made of paper material, but covered with silicone, forming a protective layer. Such paper is sold in the form of rolls or sheets, and it can be used up to five to eight times.
- Bags or sleeves for roasting in the oven are also suitable, but it is better to use them in extreme cases. Pre-package can be cut along the edge to turn it into a single canvas. But if the form is small, then it is desirable to use the sleeve in its original form: two layers are better than one. And if you are afraid that the dough will stick to the bag, pre-place it with soft oil.
- If you don’t have any of the above, then in this case you shouldn’t give up the idea of preparing something for tea. Just do what our grandmothers and great-grandmothers did. First, grease the bottom of the pan with a well-softened butter or high-quality margarine, then sprinkle it with flour, semolina or breadcrumbs. Such a layer will protect against burning and make it easy to remove the finished pastries.
Tip: before you use the improvised tool or fixture, place it in a heated oven and follow the changes. If the material began to melt, smoked and burn all the more, then it is impossible to use it for such purposes.
You should start with the fact that you can not use as a substitute for baking paper. Absolutely not fit the newspaper: first, it is very thin, and secondly, the letters and illustrations can be printed on the dough, and dyes - to penetrate into its structure. Also do not use plastic bags or food film. The polyethylene from which they are made will instantly melt during heat treatment and, first, mix with the bottom of the dough, and second, stick or literally melt to the bottom of the baking pan.
Now a few words about the process of baking. In order not to burn the dough, you should cook it at a low or medium temperature - about 160-170 degrees. If you raise it, then the walls of the mold will quickly and strongly heat up, and the baking will immediately start burning to them. In addition, you should not place the shelf on which the tank will stand, too low. If you raise it higher, it will move away from the fire, and the risks of burning will significantly decrease.
Tip: in order to reduce the heating of the bottom and walls of the mold and minimize the risks of burning, you can place a container with water under the preparing pastries. Such a method will allow to heat the container gradually and not very much, but at the same time the heat will spread in the oven, which means that the dough is completely baked.
Now the lack of baking paper will not exactly knock you out of the rut, because you know how to replace it.
The main purpose of parchment paper is to use it when baking. It is not able to skip the fat and water, besides it is very durable. The finished product does not lose the taste and does not absorb foreign odors. Baking does not dry and does not burn. When baking, food grade parchment is used, there are no dangerous impurities. But if it is not there, you need to know how to replace the parchment paper when baking.
Rules for using parchment
- It is necessary to lay out the container with parchment. The paper is put on trays, in forms for different types of products, dishes for baking. The material serves to protect against burning, but does not protect against leakage.
- Need to cut off the necessary piece of paper. To the finished products were not wrinkles and folds, the parchment must be distributed carefully.
- Parchment can be used unconventionally. It is needed for the wrapper for pastry. Paper is laid out in gift boxes. The material is used for frying meat on a baking sheet.
Some housewives grease the paper with butter, like a baking sheet. This protects it from slipping while putting the dough out. But it is not necessary to do this. To keep the parchment in place, you need to grease the corners of the pan with a little fat, and the surface should not be touched.
Do not confuse parchment with wax paper. These are different materials. Waxed paper cannot be used at high temperatures. Parchment should be used if required by prescription. For silicone dishes it is not needed.
Paper can be put into compost, it can be recycled again, and this is necessary for ecology. In this case, there are several analogues that can perfectly replace the parchment. They make the same great pastries.
This is one of the answers to the question of how to replace parchment paper when baking biscuits. For meringue, it is desirable to use thick paper. It is important that there are no images on it, as the ink will remain on the test and will spoil the taste.
Before putting the dough on paper, grease it with a lot of grease. It is advisable to use butter or margarine. To speed up the process, the oil is ground in advance to a creamy state. It should not be melted as the paper falls apart.
What to replace the parchment paper when baking, so that the products are not burnt? Tracing paper - a suitable option. It is used in the clothing industry to obtain patterns of clothing. It is similar in appearance and properties to parchment. Before use, check the purity of the material.
The difference lies in the fact that the tracing paper is not pre-greased. This is required to be done as with writing paper. Replacing baking paper with tracing paper will be required even if the dough does not take much time to bake. Tracing paper does not have such strength, compared with its culinary competitor.
Silicone molds and mats
What else to replace with parchment baking paper? For this, silicone molds are sold, which are used in the preparation of cupcakes, cookies. There are even silicone mats - for bulk pastry. They can be applied repeatedly. The material is suitable for any baking.
If you are interested in what to replace the parchment paper when baking cookies, then you should choose silicone molds or rugs. Before removing the cookies from the molds, let the finished products cool down a bit, after which they can be pushed off by the edge of the scapula, turned over and tapped on the bottom. Many housewives appreciate the paper with silicone coating. It is produced in sheets and rolls. Each sheet can be applied up to 8 times. This material needs minimal care, besides, it serves for a very long time.
If there is nothing that can replace parchment paper for baking, then foil will do. This material is fragile, so you need to transfer the dough to it carefully. The foil heats up, so you need to monitor the temperature in the oven so that the products are not burnt.
But more this material is suitable for baking products that produce juice. It usually wraps fish with vegetables. Foil is able to preserve the juice and flavor of the products.
Using a sack for baking and packing flour
These options are also suitable, if you are interested, than to replace parchment paper for baking. Packages have excellent resistance to high temperatures. It is necessary to use them in rare cases when there is nothing else. The product will not allow to burn, which is the only advantage.
If there is no parchment for baking, how to replace it? Flour packaging is similar in properties. This is often plain baking paper. Муку следует пересыпать в отдельную емкость, немного промаслить упаковку - и можно приступать к выпечке. Тесто нужно выложить на внутреннюю часть упаковки, чтобы не было отпечатывания на пирогах.
Без дополнительных приспособлений
Если тесто не капризное, то выпекать его можно на противне без использования особых средств. Нужно лишь смазать поверхность маслом или маргарином. Do not use this method for meringue or macaroon, because without paper they will burn. But the method will be indispensable for pies, casseroles, biscuits.
Reduce the risk of sticking of confectionery products allow semolina. She needs only to sprinkle an oiled baking sheet. Groats can be replaced with breadcrumbs. Wheat flour will do as well. You can chop dry bread or crackers. Baking is performed on a non-stick pan. It does not need special coatings, it is only necessary to lubricate the bottom and sides of the butter. This technology allows you to get excellent results.
What should not be used?
For the preparation of confectionery products should not be used:
- Newspapers. This paper is fragile, while it is saturated with printing ink that is not useful for humans.
- Dry writing paper. Before placing the dough and sending it into the oven, it is oiled, otherwise the products will not be separated from the paper.
- Vegetable oil for lubrication. The product does not get rid of burning, no matter how high quality it is. And the taste and aroma will be spoiled.
- Polyethylene. The composition of it is different from the package for roasting. Under the influence of high temperatures, the material melts. Not only the dish will be spoiled, but also kitchen appliances, household appliances.
Before using the tools at hand, they must be tested. After all, they can not withstand high temperatures. It is necessary to put a piece of material in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. If the product does not catch fire, is not minimized or smokes, it is considered safe. Before cooking, make sure that all materials are intact and not dirty. Suitable tools that replace the parchment, will bake delicious and fragrant products.
Parchment or baking paper
On the shelves of supermarkets in the confectionery department you can see not only parchment, but also baking paper. Often consumers buy these products, thinking that they are the same in their properties. But is it? What is the difference between these products and for what purposes is each suitable? Let's try to figure it out.
The use of this paper is also widespread in the household. Baking paper is a material that is made from fat pulp. It differs from parchment in that it can withstand only fat. Moisture and other liquids freely pass through it, not lingering on the surface. The maximum temperature that baking paper can withstand is usually 170 ° C. It is allowed not to lubricate butter, if it will bake products from fat shortcrust pastry. In all other cases, in order to avoid paper sticking to the finished product, it is better to oil it.
How can baking paper be replaced?
Sometimes the inspiration to bake a cake or a cookie takes them by surprise when there is no pastry parchment at home or in a nearby store. In this case, you have to replace the parchment with what you have. Depending on the dish, this versatile culinary item can be successfully replaced with foil, tracing paper, silicone mat, plain writing paper, or flour (bread crumbs, semolina) sprinkled over the baking dish. Each replacement has its pros and cons. Let us consider in more detail each of them.
It is possible to use foil instead of parchment, but some nuances should be taken into account:
- for baking confectionery product must be oiled,
- when baking meat dishes, oil may not be needed,
- products are laid out on the bright side,
- when cooking, a small part of the aluminum from the surface can get into the dish.
The essential advantage of this is that, thanks to its properties, it can be made into any desired shape (for example, for a pie). To prevent the dish from burning during the cooking process, the form with a culinary product should be covered with a sheet of foil.
This paper differs little from parchment: color, density, material of manufacture. As a replacement, sewing tracing paper is perfect for baking pastry made from shortbread and yeast dough. It is only necessary to pre-oil it. This option is also relatively cheap. It is convenient to bake cookies on the tracing paper, but it is not recommended to cook biscuit or meringue on it, because she can soak up and stick to the finished dish.
This is a very ergonomic device for baking and roasting. Culinary products do not stick to the surface of the rug. Silicone mat with proper use and care will last a long time. It is convenient to bake almost any confectionery dish on it: from meringue to pies. By means of a silicone rug it will turn out to prepare a dish, at all without having soiled a form for roasting.
If there is no baking alternative to parchment at hand, then ordinary writing paper will do. Use for baking it, of course, is not recommended. But why not try? The sheet should be well oiled and baked on it at a relatively low temperature, because there is a risk of fire. During the work it is necessary to be prepared for the fact that it can soak or stick both to the form and to the confectionery itself.
Flour (crackers, semolina)
It is permissible to sprinkle the surface of the mold or baking tray with flour, bread crumbs or semolina, if you plan to bake sand or yeast dough. When using this method, it is worthwhile to closely monitor the baking process, since these types of powders can start to burn, and the product absorbs the smell of burning.
Fat (butter or sunflower oil, margarine)
These are not bad substitutes for parchment paper, but they cannot save the confectionery from sticking and burning. A significant disadvantage of this method is that the product can absorb the taste and aroma of these products.
With a great desire, a way out can always be found, even if there was no parchment paper in the house. The main thing is to act wisely and assess the consequences of the use of alternative improvised means when baking. And, of course, it is better not to forget to acquire the necessary equipment for cooking delicious dishes for the future.