The beneficial properties of pine nuts are widely known and used not only for nutritional purposes, but also in cosmetic and medical. Pine nuts are very popular not only in Russia, but also in the rest of the world. In the article you will learn everything - the benefits and harm of pine nuts, the composition and beneficial properties for the body of women and men, as well as the use in treatment and other areas.
From this article you will learn:
Origin and where pine nuts grow
Cedar is an evergreen deciduous tree with a special habitat.
You can meet him only in Siberia, the Eastern Urals and Altai. There are also varieties of this tree growing on Sakhalin and East Asia, but small nuts, having a rich chemical composition, are mined only where Siberian Cedar grows.
According to official data, these large low-demand trees are the source of more than 1.5 million tons of nuts per year for Russian farms.
Photo: Siberian cedar forests
Useful properties for the human body
Pine nuts and among the people, and among scientists are recognized as almost real Siberian gold, because their useful and healing properties help not only to maintain health, but also to actively get rid of many diseases. The rich complex of useful substances includes the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamins B1-B9, which are the main benefits for women. This group of compounds, first of all, rejuvenates the body, makes the skin elastic, and hair and nails strong. In addition, the complex effect of substances raises the physical and emotional tone.
- Pine nuts are an excellent source of vitamin E - one of the strongest antioxidants necessary for a person to effectively combat cancer. Its benefits to the body are also expressed in strengthening the nervous, cardiovascular, reproductive systems, preventing the aging process and improving brain function. 100 grams of pine nut contains 62% of vitamin E from the daily intake.
- 200 grams of nuts is enough to fill the daily need for phylloquinone (vitamin K). Its indispensable role is to normalize the processes of blood coagulation and stimulate the production of other vitamins in the body.
- Copper is absorbed in large quantities of pine nuts. This trace element is needed to maintain hemoglobin in normal and synthesis of collagen, affecting the condition of the joints and skin.
- Manganese is another essential mineral that enters the body through this valuable product. Manganese is needed for the absorption of thiamine (vitamin B1), without which normal cell development is impossible, participates in the formation of bone structure, stabilizes the functions of the central nervous system and has an antioxidant effect.
- To strengthen and maintain the health of nails allows phosphorus, which in 100 grams of nuts contains 71% of the daily requirement.
The effect of pine nuts on the body of men and women in the treatment
The beneficial properties of pine nuts were noticed and began to be used by people many centuries ago, even before their composition was thoroughly studied by scientists. Today, this product is deservedly considered one of the most useful among all nuts, and more recently it falls into the category of superfoods. The use inside and the use of various tools based on it has the following effect:
- due to the presence of manganese, copper, iron and phosphorus, the circulatory system is strengthened, the load on the heart muscle is reduced and the blood composition is normalized,
- high potassium content helps to timely control the water-salt balance, preventing edema,
- sodium has a relaxing and tonic effect on the nervous system and improves mental abilities,
- phosphorus is beneficial not only in the form of strengthening the musculoskeletal system, but also increases brain activity, improves memory, attention and concentration,
- regular use of pine nuts in the composition of a balanced diet helps cleanse and stabilize liver functions,
- as in any nuts, in this product there are many dietary fibers that remove slags from the gastrointestinal tract, stimulate intestinal motility and the production of digestive enzymes,
- Due to the complex of vitamins B and a variety of mineral compounds, pine nuts improve the condition of the skin, bones, joints, nails and teeth.
- The beneficial properties of pine nuts are also beneficial for men. The reason for this is the same rare chemical composition, providing a comprehensive restorative and strengthening effect on the reproductive and reproductive system. Many sources of men's health cedar nuts are classified as strong aphrodisiacs, which, however, require regular use.
- for women, pine nuts are very useful during pregnancy and breastfeeding due to beneficial reproductive substances.
Cedar shells and use in the treatment
The shell of pine nuts is very widely used in traditional medicine in the treatment of many diseases.
With its help such illnesses as lichen, eczema, abscesses, burns are treated. All you need is the lotion of cedar shell decoction (2-3 tablespoons per glass of water). Decoction of pine nut shell has anti-inflammatory effect and is also used for rinsing the mouth for inflammation of the mucous membranes.
When taking tincture or decoction of cedar shell inside, the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract is restored and the tone rises.
Photo: cedar shell healing properties
Folk healers recommend drinking a decoction or tincture of pine nuts and hearing loss, hemorrhoids, arthritis, osteochondrosis, and blood diseases.
Cedar shells are also used for hair - if, after washing, it is rinsed with an extract of cedar nutshell, the hair will become strong, soft and shiny.
The bath of husks and oilcake, which remains during the extraction of oil from the cedar kernel, has a calming effect on the nervous system and is used for eczema, diathesis and other skin diseases.
Also, using cedar shells, you can get rid of excess hair.
Pine nut oil and its application
In addition, the nuts of the Siberian cedar are widely used in the cosmetic field. True, the most valuable resource here is not the solid part of the fruit, but oil. Its enormous benefits and popularity are due to the concentrated vitamin-mineral composition, freed from the main carbohydrate and protein mass.
Photo: cedar oil
Pine nut oil today is a valuable resource for strengthening, healing and restoring hair, nails, skin and eyelashes. Often it is found in the composition of various cosmetics, but the practice of making masks, baths and creams on such a basis is also quite common.
Harm and contraindications cedar nuts
Despite the fact that pine nuts have such extensive benefits, and they can cause harm to the body. In fact, it is not so much harm as the consequences of misuse of the product. Therefore, it is advisable not to forget about the following contraindications:
- First, young children should be given nuts only under the supervision of an adult, because this can cause airway blockages.
- Secondly, it should be remembered that the high content of metals such as copper or manganese, forcing the daily consumption of nuts to be limited to 30-50 grams, so that the body does not suffer the negative effects of an excess in microelements.
- Experts do not recommend combining this product with meat and dairy food - such a “union” will only complicate the absorption of food and cause a greater load on the digestive system.
- It is advisable to avoid buying peeled pine nuts sold by weight, since their useful and medicinal properties deteriorate upon contact with oxygen (oxidation occurs), and the pulp becomes rancid in taste.
- Due to the high proportion of fatty acids, nuts may be contraindicated for people with overweight and diabetes. In this case, the possibility and limits of use should be clarified with the attending physician.
Normal nuts should not have a rancid smell and a dirty yellow color. Healthy fruits, by the way, cannot be completely dry - this indicates the expiration of their shelf life and loss of beneficial substances.
Try natural raw pine nuts from a quality manufacturer!
The beneficial properties of cedar nuts
The kernel of cedar nut contains: fats, lecithin, nitrogenous substances, including proteins, carbohydrates, ash, moisture, glucose, fructose, sucrose, starch, dextrins, pentosans, fiber
Also, pine nut contains such macronutrients as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium, trace elements - iron, manganese, copper, zinc, molybdenum, silicon, aluminum, iodine, boron, nickel, cobalt, lead, strontium, silver.
Even the amniotic membrane of seeds contains macro-and microelements that are vital to humans, such as phosphorus, sulfur, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese, and silicon.
100 g of cedar kernels contain the amount of scarce trace elements that can meet the daily human need for manganese, copper, zinc and cobalt ..
14 amino acids are identified in the protein of cedar kernels, 70% are irreplaceable, one of which is arginine (about 20%) plays an irreplaceable role in the development of a growing organism.
Pine nut contains almost all the essential amino acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins: A, B, C, D, E, R. The biological value of pine nut kernels is due to the high content of vitamin B1 and vitamin E.
Eating cedar nuts can compensate for the "protein hunger" for those who switched to vegetarian food. Cedar nut plant protein is perfectly balanced and is similar in composition to human tissue proteins and is absorbed by the body by 99%. Another factor determining the high nutritive value of pine nuts is that pine nuts contain almost all the essential amino acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins, and mineral elements.
Being a natural food product, the pine nut has no contraindications to its use both in food and in therapeutic and prophylactic purposes. Pine nut is especially useful in immunodeficiency states, allergic diseases, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including ulcerative and cholelithiasis.
Cedar nut oil, has high nutritional and healing properties, is easily absorbed by the body. Cedar oil contains a huge number of vitamins (C, B1, B2, A, E, P, F), essential fatty acids, including polyunsaturated (Omega-3) acids, helps regulate the functioning of the liver and the gastrointestinal tract, normalizes cholesterol in blood, promotes the removal of toxic substances from the body, improves cellular metabolism, blood composition, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, has a tonic effect, stimulates the function of the sex glands, increases physical and mental performance, is effective in dysbacteriosis and avitaminosis, useful for the growth and development of the child's body.
Valuable dietary and medicinal properties of pine nuts help with high blood pressure and atherosclerosis, give a positive effect with increased acidity of gastric juice, with gastric and duodenal ulcers, against belching and heartburn.
The shell of the pine nut in the ground state can be used for feeding animals. It has an average nutritional value in comparison with other types of feed, although it contains a lot of fiber, therefore its digestibility is low.
When squeezing the oil from the kernel of cedar nuts (cold pressing), cedar oil cake remains, which is rich in biologically active substances, trace elements, proteins, vitamins E, A, C, C of group B, unsaturated fatty acids, does not contain cholesterol. This is an excellent dietary product that, when consumed, helps to normalize the metabolism, maintain health and preserve human health for many years. It is recommended to add it to desserts, creams, fruit and vegetable salads. It gives a subtle taste and flavor to cakes, pastries, ice cream and other pastries. You can use it with cottage cheese, mussels, honey, etc.
Traditional medicine willingly and widely used pine nuts for the treatment of various diseases. For example, the population of Siberia since ancient times considers pine nuts to be an effective therapeutic agent for salt deposition.
Husk and cedar nut cake was previously used to prepare cleansing baths, and bran was also added to them. Bath has the most beneficial effect on the skin, especially cracked, coarsened. Such baths are recommended for diathesis, eczema, pustular and other skin diseases. In addition, the bath with the addition of a decoction of husk and cedar nut cake has a calming effect on the nervous system. It is useful for both overexcitement and overwork.
Tincture of pine nuts (entirely) was used to treat articular rheumatism, gout, metabolic disorders, vitamin deficiency. Pounded nuts, along with the shell, were poured with vodka, insisted for 7 days, filtered and taken for 1.5-2 months.
The shell of cedar nuts is rich in tannins. It is used for preparing tinctures and decoctions (2-3 tablespoons per glass), which are used for inflammation of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and other organs, in the form of lotions and washing - for skin diseases (lichen, pustular lesions, eczema, etc.), burns
Tincture shells from pine nuts was used to treat the gastrointestinal tract. It raises the tone, gives strength and restores the normal functioning of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Decoction of pine nut shell has astringent, analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect, it is recommended to drink it in case of gastrointestinal disorders.
Infusion shell pine nuts Siberian healers are advised to use for hemorrhoids. Traditional medicine recommends drinking the tincture of pine nuts for blood diseases, as well as for osteochondrosis, arthritis.
Chopped kernels of pine nuts with honey is useful to use in case of peptic ulcer. Traditional medicine believes that with various skin diseases, including cancer, eczema, boils, the constant use of natural pine nuts or cedar oil leads to recovery.
Pine nuts should always be in the diet of children and adolescents. They have a beneficial effect on the physical and mental development of the child. Very useful and necessary during the change of milk teeth.
The use of pine nuts increases the body's defenses, strengthens the immune system. Pine nuts enhance the potency in men.
Calorie and chemical composition
These seeds are considered a high-calorie product - 673 kcal per 100 g of fresh harvest. In dried grains, this figure is smaller, but also impressive - 585 kcal.
We called them seeds for a reason. The fact is that these fruits of cedar pines are securely covered with a hard shell, which makes the seeds resemble a nut. They themselves are small, pale yellow color. If you look at the composition of nuts, it turns out that 100 g contains 68.4 g of fat. Also the "crown" ingredients are protein compounds (13.7 g) and carbohydrates like fiber, glucose and starch (13.1 g). Among other useful components are listed:
- thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. They are known as vitamins B1, B2 and B3, their content reaches 0.3-0.4 mg,
- vitamins of groups C and K - 0.8 mg and 53.9 mg. Slightly less vitamins D, E and P,
- macronutrients in the form of potassium (597 mg), phosphorus (575 mg) and magnesium (251 mg),
- trace elements represented by calcium (16 mg), zinc (6.4 mg) and iron (5.5 mg),
- water is at least (2.3 g).
It is not surprising that with this composition nuts have long been used in medicine, including folk. For the manufacture of various drugs and tinctures used all parts of the fruit, and each of them has pronounced healing properties, which will be discussed below.
This is the most valuable component of the nut. Despite their small size, they are extremely useful: there is only twice as much protein here as in boiled chicken meat (about 45%). Moreover, it is absorbed by our body completely. As a result - weight therapeutic effects:
- normalization of the cardiovascular and nervous systems,
- palpable liver help (especially in terms of blood formation),
- restoration of balance and patency of the gastrointestinal tract,
- metabolism regulation
- явная польза семян кедровых орехов для женщин проявляется в стимуляции функций половых желез,
- при постоянном употреблении восстанавливается острота зрения,
- общеукрепляющее действие.
Семянки активно используются в фармакологии и народной медицине. Фабричные лекарства на их основе помогают при ишемической болезни, анемии и атеросклерозе. Самодельные же настойки применяются для укрепления иммунитета и борьбы с отложениями солей в организме. Such a valuable material is indispensable for the prevention, it can be made even in the children's menu. For men engaged in heavy physical labor, the benefits of pine nuts are also obvious: they have a lot of “fast” vitamins and macronutrients. Do not forget about the urological area of action of seeds.
The shell is also used as a valuable raw material in the manufacture of ointments, creams and tinctures.
It consists of tannins - tannins that act as an antiseptic. That is, the shell can act as a complete anti-inflammatory composition.
In addition, ugly-looking "armor":
- promotes normal blood circulation, preventing leukemia and anemia,
- as a prophylactic composition helps to combat the symptoms of atherosclerosis,
- in the form of tinctures used in the treatment of periodontitis and heavy uterine bleeding.
This product is remarkable not only for its composition. The fact is that even modern pharmacology is not able to create its substitute. Oil acts as follows:
- normalizes the activity of the central nervous system,
- fills the blood with necessary compounds, lowers cholesterol,
- "Accelerates" the digestive tract,
- accelerates the healing of wounds, frostbite or burns,
- eliminates the manifestations of skin diseases, especially psoriasis at an early stage,
- improves eyesight
- removing heavy metals and toxins from the body, improves metabolism.
Traditional medicine traditionally prefers strong tinctures. This has its reason - “degrees” in combination with saturated nuts give a strong effect. It was noted that pine nuts, and especially the kernels used in the vodka tincture, are distinguished by such healing properties:
- have a beneficial effect on the work of the stomach and genital tract,
- have an antitumor effect,
- correct hearing and sight,
- purify the blood and lymph
- restore the dermis after injuries, bruises and cracks.
There are many ways to prepare such compounds, therefore we will list the most simple ones:
- 0.5 kg of nuts are poured into a glass jar and poured with vodka (some take alcohol) until the liquid covers them completely. Insist 2 weeks, after which you can begin to receive.
- The “long-lasting” recipe provides for a 40-day holding period. To begin with, 40 g of kernels are poured with vodka (0.5 l) and put in a dark place. Then every 3 days the tincture is stirred and filtered at the very end.
- A faster way: nuts thoroughly crumple, then pour vodka (about 5 cm above the nuts). After a week, you can strain and pour into the jar.
- 200 g of powdered dry shells help from sciatica. Bay vodka billet, it is tightly closed and insist month. Scene, it is consumed on an empty stomach, half an hour before meals (2 tbsp. L).
- Gulf 100 g of material, give a week brew in a dark place. After straining drink 1 teaspoon per day. It is effective in the complex treatment of leukemia.
- Firming composition for general prophylaxis is also simple. Dried shell fill a jar of 0.5 liters. Alcohol is poured in, and the container is covered with a lid. Three weeks - and the tincture is decanted, being poured into dark glass dishes. Reception - a teaspoon in the same 30 minutes before meals.
Such strong products are not suitable for everyone, and “soft” shells made of shell are used to treat some diseases:
- For digestive disorders 1 tbsp. l dry material is filled with a glass of boiling water. 20 minutes followed by straining - and the mixture is ready. Take it between meals, 4-5 times a day (but not more than half a cup at a time).
- A strong cough and advanced bronchitis are treated according to a special scheme. A glass of shallow shell is filled with 1 liter of water. It is boiled on low heat, not forgetting to put the lid on. After 3 hours of such cooking, decoction is squeezed, cooled and put in the fridge.
Contraindications and harm
Say at once - no self. Only a doctor can give permission for such procedures. The consent of the therapist or cardiologist will not be obtained if such health problems occur:
- individual intolerance to a product or an allergic reaction to it,
- obesity and high body mass index
- negative reaction of the heart, blood vessels or nervous system to alcohol. This is true for those who are preparing to actively use tinctures.
- when combined with meat or dairy products, they overload the gastrointestinal tract,
- they can cause airway blockages in young children,
- improper storage of nuts is fraught with prolonged intoxication or loss of taste. It all starts with the appearance of bitterness in the mouth, which is enhanced if you eat sweet. Over time, it subsides, but there is a metallic taste. This may take 2-14 days. Treatment is not required, everything passes naturally.
How to choose when buying
Nuts are offered in several forms at once - as individual peeled or unpeeled kernels, and with additives in the form of glaze or chocolate. With such a diversity, it is important not to get lost, but to choose a fresh collection. You can determine it by the following features:
- the same size of the goods
- solid color core and shell. If spots are visible, they immediately refuse to purchase (there is a risk of infection),
- The nucleoli themselves should not be over dried. Take a handful and try on the weight - it is immediately felt
- the tips of the fresh kernels retain their light color, while the darkened edge "gives out" an old nut, which is better to put aside,
- a dark dot is usually visible on a peeled nut. If it does not appear, it is probably empty, and there is no core inside,
- nutty flavor is whole, without sharp and unpleasant impurities,
- a too dark shell with a patina indicates that the product is already damaged,
- Of course, there should be no traces of mold or other damage.
How to store at home
Having bought a valuable piece, try to preserve its useful qualities.
There are no tricks here. True, one subtlety is still there: because of the saturation of the oils, the nut can quickly deteriorate, so it is placed in a refrigerator or freezer, having first been poured into an airtight package. The ideal would be a container with a lid.
It is believed that the shelf life in the freezer is twice the duration of the content directly in the refrigerator. For peeled nuts, this figure is 6 and 3 months respectively. In the case of uncleaned it will be even more - 1 year or 6 months.
How to peel pine nuts
Separating the nucleolus from the hard shell is not so easy. The following cleaning methods are used:
- Mechanical. This is the fate of a hammer, pliers or a powerful garlic press. You need to be alert - a small seed can fly away into the far corner of the kitchen. Do not overdo it with a stroke to leave the seed whole.
- Pre-soak. Can be placed in water for half a day. If there is no time, 10-15 minutes is enough in boiling water. After this cleaning is much easier.
- Frozen nuts are gently processed with a rolling pin. To do this, they are placed in a bag from which air is immediately released. Having tied it up, the nuts are slightly crushed. It remains to remove the shell.
Now you know what pine nuts are useful for. We hope our readers can easily select the most recent collection and correctly approach the issue of treatment. Health you stronger!
Composition and useful properties
The locals of the Siberian expanse have long known and respected this plant, because its healing and prophylactic properties more than once saved in many diseases.
The beneficial properties of pine nuts are completely based on their amazing composition: this natural product is 64% oil, and another 17% is from easily digestible protein, and they include 19 essential and conditionally essential amino acids that have high biological value.
Among them are tryptophan, glutamic acid, lysine, glycine, and so on. It should be noted vitamin composition: cedar nut oil is rich in provitamin A, its amount exceeds the content of provitamin in fish oil 3 times!
In addition to vitamin A, which directly affects the healthy growth and development of the human body, nuts contain some representatives of group B (B1, AT2, AT3) necessary for the normal metabolism of amino acids, maintaining body tissues (positive effects on the skin, hair, nails, liver function and blood formation).
It is necessary to note the high content of vitamin E, which promotes the absorption of other vitamins, and also participates in the metabolism of carbohydrates and proteins, stimulates the activity of the endocrine glands.
In addition to vitamins, pine nuts are rich in essential micro- and macroelements: copper is essential for brain activity, phosphorus involved in the preservation of teeth and bones, calcium is the main component of bones, and also an essential element for blood coagulation. And that's not all: manganese, magnesium, iron, potassium, vanadium, silicon, boron, zinc, tin, and many others.
The use of healing seeds in traditional medicine
For healing and prophylactic purposes, they use not only the seed itself, but also its shell, and cedar oil is made for the cosmetic and culinary fields.
On the basis of the shell make special alcohol tinctures, which are excellent help with blood diseases, osteochondrosis, articular rheumatism, arthritis, as well as in the treatment of gout and vitamin deficiency.
The recipe is simple: nuts, crushed together with the shell, poured vodka (about 7 cm above the level of nuts). Insist for 7 days, then strain and take for two months on a tablespoon three times a day.
In general, pine nuts are an incredibly valuable product for people in the elderly and adulthood, and especially for those who suffer from heart or vascular diseases. For example, cedar oil not bad removes "bad" cholesterol, which accumulates over the years in the body and, as a result, forms plaques on the vessels.
The use of pine nuts is not limited solely to ingestion: crushed seeds perfectly help with boils, it is enough to apply such a compress to the sore spot, which will contribute to the early removal of pus and wound healing.
Also known cleansing baths on the basis of husks and cedar nut cake, not only do they have a beneficial effect on the structure and youthfulness of the skin, they help fight diathesis, eczema and other skin diseases.
In addition, these bathrooms have a beneficial effect on the nervous system, they are especially useful for fatigue and over-stimulation.
Pine nuts are also a popular tool in the treatment of male impotence, on the basis of which they produce effective drugs that help fight this ailment.
Also, these fruits strengthen the immune system well, purify the blood, are effective in urolithiasis, as well as in kidney stones or gall bladder. Nuts are recommended for use by children, as they can have a beneficial effect on mental and physical development.
Nuts can be used for the beauty of the hair - just rinse them after crushing the infusion of shells, which will make them strong, shiny and healthy.
Also, pine nuts are widely used in cooking: not only is it very useful, but also very tasty! The easiest option is to nibble raw nuts, peeled without a shell is better not to buy, as they may not be as useful as we would like.
The thing is that cedar oil is a very unstable product, it quickly deteriorates and causes a rancid taste, and the fruits themselves cease to be useful.
Nuts can be used in many recipes - they are often added to salads, meat and vegetable dishes, but the most famous dish with their use is, of course, the Italian Pesto sauce.
It is important to know how to choose these valuable fruits, they should be whole and dense, you only need to buy them during the harvest (from August to October).