Antirrinum belongs to the family of nornichnikovs. In the Mediterranean, this plant is considered to be perennial, but in our harsh, frosty latitudes in winter it is grown as an annual.
He is rightly in demand in gardening and floriculture, although planting and caring for this plant have some distinctive features.
Flower-lovers often ask questions:
- Are frosts terrible for annuals?
- Is pinching important?
- grow seedlings or sow in the ground?
The stem of the throat is well branched, creating a compact dense bush, reaching a height of 20 to 150 centimeters. The flower is large and in form resembles the open mouth of an animal, for which in conversation they are called doggies. Bright with a pronounced aroma, they are collected in the spike or racemose inflorescences. Coloring is so diverse and depends on the type of antirrinum. The most popular white, lilac, yellow, red flowers.
Currently, growers are growing about 900 different varieties, which, in turn, are divided into a half dozen groups:
- tall 150-160 cm in height
- high up to 100 cm
- medium to 60–70 cm
- undersized up to 40-50 cm
- dwarf to 20-25 cm.
In tall varieties there is one main distinctive detail - the central stem of the flower rises above the lateral stems, creating a peduncle with large, strong inflorescences.
All sredneroslye varieties branch well and radically different in flowering time. So, among them you can find early and late species of this annual.
Low-growing varieties of "dogs" have the shape of a ball with a lot of stalks, form miniature bushes, the size of flowers is smaller than that of tall relatives.
All varieties are divided into several classes.
- Shears are tall varieties, well suited for bouquets, with large flowers, do not lose their picturesque qualities for a long time.
- Casing plants - they include low-growing and dwarf plants, also called curb plants, which have a long flowering period and form a dense miniature shrub.
- Universal - these are medium-grown varieties that are distinguished by brighter colors and a variety of colors, combined into a small bush with a large spike - peduncle and large flowers. Such "dogs" look good in a bouquet and remain attractive in a flowerbed for a long time. The pharynx will be pleased with its beauty and fragrance for about three to four months.
And also by flowering time are divided traditionally.as with all other garden flowers:
- early start of flowering, the first flowers are revealed in May,
- medium terms, bloom no earlier than July,
- late flowering, flowers appear closer to August.
Planting and care
Antirrinum is a very light-loving flower, and when there is a shortage of heat, it slows down its growth and seed cultivation. It can tolerate slight frosts up to -5–0 degrees.
Dogs are grown on any soil, but it is noticed that it grows better in light fertile soil. Picking up a place for sowing in the front garden, look for a sunny, bright, protected from drafts.
Growing from seed
Antirrinum is grown as an annual plant by sowing seed to seedlings or directly into the ground. Each of these methods has a number of advantages.
Planting seeds in the soil.
This method is suitable for gardeners living near the greenhouse, in their home or in the country. So it will be easier to observe the sowing and germination. Sometimes it seemsthat planting right in the soil is much easier, but whether your young will survive or not depends entirely on caring for them. Antirrinum seeds are sown in the soil in late autumn or in early spring in early April. He is not afraid of cold weather and the spring night frosts also tolerate well.
Seeds are applied to the soil immediately in a flower bed and do not cover them with earth. The seeds of Antirrinal are too small, so for a uniform distribution over the surface it is better to mix them with sand. The bed where the flowerbed will be located will need care, you need to clean it well from grass and weeds, because they will choke young bore holes. When the first seedlings appear, the flower needs care, weeding and regular, neat watering.
The grown flowers thin out at a rate so that the distance between them remains from 15 to 25 cm. “Dogs” grown in soil start blooming much later around July and end early because of the threat of cold weather.
Planting seeds Antirriuma seedlings
This concern begins from the first decade of February and until the beginning - mid-April. Seedlings of seedlings bloom much earlier and in early May will delight you with their diversity. Seedling growing process Antirrinal has its own distinctive features, which it is desirable to know and apply to each florist:
- Seeds are sown in loose, moist soil without sprinkling. For quick germination they need light and heat. The best temperature for a seed is from 20 to 26 degrees.
- If the planting in the greenhouse was made in February, the days are short and you need to organize additional lighting for the seedlings. If the planting was in March or April, the plants do not need excessive lighting. It all depends on the length of daylight, which gradually begins to increase from March. Additional lighting may be needed on cloudy rainy days.
- when the first sprouts appear, it is necessary to open the greenhouse for ventilation and monitor the soil moisture. Waterlogging and drought will damage the seedlings or even destroy the young. When the first pair of sheets appeared, it is time to dive the seedlings into separate containers, this will allow them to develop and form a strong root system. In order to begin to form a bush, you need to pinch the sprout over 3-4 pair of leaves. Before you start planting seedlings on a flower bed it is necessary to temper it for several days, bringing it to the garden all day. Landings in the ground begin only with the onset of constant warm weather, usually in May. The seeds of the pharynx are too small, so you can sow in peat tablets, then just thin out the seedlings.
Already partially flowered seedlings are planted in the front garden. To ensure lush flowering choose the most open and sunny place. Soil before planting seedlings, it is desirable to spit it with peat and add a little sand for looseness. Between seedlings leave 20-25 cm for free growth. But depending on the type of plant, the distance can be increased.
Care of a lion's pharynx
This flower is a rather unpretentious and non-picky plant, all you need is weeding, protection from pests and regular watering. Be sure to followso that the flower is not flooded, the roots can get sick from this and your flowerbed will die. You can control the humidity if you grind the soil with peat, sawdust or old grass.
Top dressing of an annual flower
Even on poor soils, you can grow a beautiful and healthy plant, if you carry out feeding in time. It is desirable to hold the first top dressing in 15–20 days after the seedlings moved to a flower bed. All subsequent fertilization should be carried out with the same interval of two weeks, throughout the flowering time. For this purpose, weak solutions of bird droppings or mullein and weed infusions are suitable.
Flower snapdragon description, photo
Perennial got its name for the similarity with the kind of opened mouth of a bloodthirsty predator. The legend of the victory of Hercules over the Nemean lion says about the salvation of mankind from a terrible monster. According to legend, in honor of the great feat goddess Flora created this wonderful plant.
Its botanical name is antirrinum. Belongs to the family Norichnikovye. Since in the first year the flower gives seeds, it is often planted as an annual crop. Very unpretentious - even a novice gardener can handle it. Grassy plant or shrub. Its height is from 15 centimeters to a meter. Straight stems form a bush in the shape of a pyramid.
The leaves are elongate-oval, can be various shades of green (from light to dark), with reddish veins. The flowers have a pleasant aroma. They are large and by the number of petals can be simple or terry. It depends on the variety. The color of the petals can be very diverse - pink, yellow, white, red.
The fruit is a box with a large number of seeds (up to eight thousand in one). The period of decoration begins in June and ends in late autumn, with the onset of cold weather.
The homeland and permanent habitat of wild species are the territories of North America and the southern regions of Europe. It is not known exactly when the plant was grown as a culture. Pliny also recommended using a green doctor to relieve inflammation of the eyeball.
Now there are more than 300 varieties of plants. One of the first selection of the flower began to engage botanists from Germany. This happened in the nineteenth century.
Snapdragon types, varieties
At the heart of one popular division of varieties is such a characteristic as the height of the bush. In accordance with this symptom, all types of antirrinum are divided into five groups:
- Giant. The length of their stem varies from 90 to 130 centimeters. At the same time, the main shoot significantly exceeds the others in height. Varieties - Arthur - petals saturated cherry color, up to 95 cm in height. F1 red, F1 pink - the flowers of the corresponding shades, the length of the plant is 110 centimeters.
- Tall. Such items are ideal for bouquets - they retain a beautiful appearance in a vase for more than seven days. The varieties with yellow flowers have the strongest and most attractive aromas. The height of the shoots reaches ninety centimeters, the minimum - sixty. Madame Butterfly - has terry petals of various tones. Canary - bright, yellow flowers. Anna Herman - with light pink petals.
- Sredneroslye. Universal purpose - suitable not only for cutting, but also look great on a flower bed. They are characterized by excessive branching. All shoots are almost on the same level. Their height can be from 40 to 60 centimeters. Lipstick Silver - light, pinkish tone of the petals. Apple Blossom - two-color, with terry petals, on them white is gradually replaced by a delicate pink shade. Golden Monarch - yellow flowers. Ruby - saturated pink color.
Bronze - the color palette of petals is complex and at the same time spectacular. It consists of a combination of various nuances of yellow, pink and even orange.
- Low. For flower beds or borders. Form a lot of flowering shoots. In this case, the principal may even be somewhat lower than the others. The plant reaches 40 cm in height. The minimum value is 25 centimeters. Crimson Velvet - with large inflorescences of dark, saturated red color. Schneeflocke - small white flowers are collected in tender, light inflorescences.
- Dwarf. Grown for decoration rabatok, borders, flower beds, rock gardens, creating the effect of floral "carpet". The central shoot of this variety is the same length as the other branches. Sometimes it is a little lower. Plant height - 15-20 centimeters. Suitable for breeding as a pot culture. Candy Showers is an ampelous variety. Sakura's color is pink and white, with a speck.
Growing snapdragon seed
In regions with a mild, warm climate, it is possible to sow directly into the ground in spring. In two weeks they will give young shoots. Seeds remain viable for several years. But in areas with harsh climatic conditions, it is preferable to grow antirrinum through seedlings.
Attention! For the implementation of the sowing procedure for seedlings, it is necessary to prepare a container for future seedlings, a ground, a shovel, two sieve with large and small cells.
When to sow seeds
Sowing seeds should be carried out at the end of February or at the very beginning of March. In the climatic conditions of central Russia - at the end of April or early May. In the north, the plant is not grown.
You can purchase a suitable type of soil in the store or prepare a soil mixture yourself. The main requirement is that it should be loose and airy. It will be necessary to take in equal parts peat, sand, turf, ash, ripened humus. The mixture must be carefully sifted through two types of sieves. The part with large inclusions is laid on top of the drainage elements. The fine substrate becomes the top layer.
Important! The soil must be sanitized. It is shed with a solution of potassium permanganate and left for two days. When sowing, it is required that the soil is sufficient, but not excessively wet.
How to sow seeds
Since the grains are very small, they are mixed with sand for even sowing. The distance between the rows is two centimeters. You can pour the seed into a paper bag and cut off a corner from it - it will be more convenient to plant it. The resulting "tracks" crush your hand a little and do some ground on top. Irrigation of the soil with a spray gun completes the procedure.
To create the effect of a mini-greenhouse, planting is covered with glass or polyethylene. The room temperature should not be below 18C. It is necessary to air crops daily. For this shelter is removed at the time. If necessary, the substrate is moistened with a spray. Young shoots appear in about ten days.
The young grows slowly. At this point, it is important to maintain a balance of substrate moisture. Seedlings should have plenty of water for development. But excess moisture can lead to mass destruction of the bushes with a “black leg”.
Important! Affected specimens are carefully removed with tweezers. The vacated space is required to powder with coal powder or calcined river sand.
Seedlings go through a dive procedure. This must be done at the appearance of the first true leaves. You can place the "kids" one by one in personal pots or three each in large pots.
The container is placed in a light, but protected from direct sunlight rays of the place. Gradually, they are taught to the conditions in which the bushes will grow in the future. To do this, in the daytime it is necessary to ventilate the room, but in no case to prevent drafts.
After the appearance of four or five leaves - the seedlings pinch. It is necessary for the formation of a lush bush. If the side branches grow very actively - you can do a similar manipulation with them.
Choosing a place
In the garden, choose a place well protected from the wind. Be sure to have good drainage. Best of all antirrinum will feel on a sunny site. But you can put him in a somewhat shaded area.
Attention! Only on a place fully illuminated by the sun, on clear days, you can enjoy all the color nuances of each variety.
Light and nutrient substrate is the best choice. Compost, peat, sand, taken in equal shares - the basis for the soil mixture. The indicator of acid-base balance should vary in the range of pH 6-8.
The layout of the bushes on the flower bed is approximately as follows:
- between the tall varieties leave a gap of half a meter,
- varieties with a stem of medium height are planted at a distance of 30 centimeters from each other,
- for stunted species, a distance of 20 cm is sufficient,
- the gap between specimens of dwarf varieties is only 15 centimeters.
After the young growth takes root in the new place, the bushes quickly become lush.
Attention! Replace only in carefully moistened soil.
The traditional set of measures for the care of the plant will allow to achieve amazing results - enough watering, weeding, loosening the land and timely fertilization.
To achieve the effect of continuous, long-term flowering throughout the vegetative season, faded flowers must be removed. The same goes for the flower arrow. It is cut off after flowering. This allows you to avoid the appearance of the seed box, which gives the opportunity and strength to extend the period of decorative.
Irrigated only during the drought, if there is no precipitation at all. It is impossible to carry out watering in the evening. The next day, the ground around antirrinum necessarily loosened, weeds are removed. Tall varieties are recommended to tie.
After the seedlings pass the period of adaptation after moving to the flower bed - they produce the first top dressing with organic fertilizers and nitrophosphate. During the setting of buds, a mixture consisting of superphosphate, potassium sulfate and urea is used. You will need a large spoonful of each component per bucket of water.
Do I need to pinch and how to perform pinching
To form a "fluffy" lush bush pruning procedure is carried out. As soon as the seedling grows ten centimeters high, its top should be pinched.
Important! Do not neglect the advice on the removal of inflorescences that have lost their decorative effect, this will allow the antirrinum to please the gardener with long flowering.
Snapdragon breeding methods
Usually antirrinum grown from seed. In warm climates, you can sow them directly into open ground. In the middle band conditions, a seedling method is preferred. Смотрите видео-ролик: как правильно посеять семена и ухаживать за сеянцами.
Черенкование – один из возможных способов. Но применяют его обычно селекционеры для получения нового сорта с махровыми лепестками. Produced by the selection of powerful healthy bushes. They overwinter indoors. Cuttings are planted in the sand before the roots.
Snapdragon after flowering
In the period of the final arrival of the autumn cold, the bushes are pruned as short as possible. There should be only a stump in the height of 6-7 centimeters. Top sprinkled with sawdust and peat. Such a mulch cover will allow the antirrinum to survive the frosty winter.
These measures are relevant when growing a flower culture as a perennial. With the one-year option, it is important to avoid self-seeding. For this, wilted flowers and flower stalks, which have fulfilled their decorative function, are removed.
Important! Before the first frosts, in the late autumn, they dig up the earth and burn plant residues to destroy the pests that could remain there.
How and when to collect seeds of snapdragon
Usually, ripened seeds are collected from any plant. But the seeds of antirrinum are better to be harvested unripe and then to be domesticated in a dry ventilated room at home.
It is better to collect in a long and narrow package, similar to those in which they sell a baguette. When ripe fruits on the lower part of the peduncle, cut off the upper green boxes. Then they put it on the peduncle packet, tie it up with a string and cut a twig. Suspended in a warm room and wait until the seeds ripen and sprinkle themselves into a package of boxes.
After that, they can be packaged in boxes and stored in the refrigerator. The optimum temperature for them will be a range of 3 to 5 degrees. It is important to protect the seeds from moisture.
Pests and diseases of Lion Pharynx (treatment)
Antirrinum can suffer from some common plant afflictions. Among them:
- Rust. The outer side of the leaves is covered with light depressed spots, and on the back side they form first yellow, and then brown pads. Leaves wither. The fungus is spread by spores through the air.
From the affected foliage immediately get rid of and treat the "cubs" "Topaz", Bordeaux mixture or the drug "Abiga-Peak".
- Downy mildew. Outside, the leaves are covered with white bloom, and on the reverse side - the same light or with a brown tint. When grown as a pot crop in a winter garden, it is required to reduce the level of humidity in the room as soon as possible. Suspend spraying. Provide good air circulation. Get rid of the affected specimens. In the early stages of the manifestation of the disease, you can handle planting "Previkur" or means "Ridomil Gold." Spraying with copper oxychloride will also help.
- Root rot. Foliage becomes matte and brightens. In time, it will dry and fade. The roots soften - the shell easily exfoliates from the middle. Spores of the fungus spread only in conditions of good moisture. Reduced acidity of the soil also contributes to their reproduction. It is necessary to suspend irrigation. In this situation, it is rarely carried out. But watering should be abundant. To solve the problem will help drugs of biological origin - "Fitosporin-M", "Glyokladin", "Alirin-B".
- Powdery mildew. On both sides of the leaves - white bloom, similar in appearance to the flour. Ailment does not spare flowers. Under the spot - the affected area is brown. It is best to initially select and sow varieties that are resistant to the disease. With minor manifestations of the disease - treated with fungicides of biological origin. In case of apparent progress of the disease - "Skorom", "Topaz", "Strobe", "Chistotsvetom."
- Brown rot. This problem usually concerns only seedlings. The base of the stalk becomes brown and gradually becomes thinner. Under the fallen leaves you can see the threads of mycelium. The seedlings are immediately treated with the “Rovral” agent. Do not follow too deep "kids" in the substrate. You can also irrigate biofungicides.
- Fusarium Bush becomes yellow and dries very quickly. Sometimes it does not even have time to bloom. The base of the stalk is rotting. Quickly get rid of affected specimens and disinfect the soil with a foundation. The same drug can be treated and the rest of the bushes for prevention.
- Blackleg. The main enemy of the young. The main cause of the disease is excessive soil moisture. The stalken turns black, becomes thin - as a result, the seedling dies. Do not over-thicken the landing. "Kids" should be well ventilated. Important pre-sowing seed disinfection and moderation in irrigation. Affected specimens are subject to immediate destruction.
- Mosaic. Flowers become small, mottled spots appear on the leaves. Against this disease there is no effective means of struggle. Sick bushes are removed and burned.
- One of the dangerous pests are stem shovels. Caterpillars make moves in the stems. This causes the death of garden pets. Timely weeding is recommended as a preventive measure. To destroy the already existing caterpillars, they are treated twice with a solution of chlorophos.
Snapdragon in landscape design, combination with other plants
In those periods when changes are taking place in the garden - the site has changed its owner and everything is settled in a new way or just wanted to change the permanent "residents", it is required to quickly decorate the garden. In this case, rescue antirrinum. All empty places can be safely filled with bright and unpretentious "lion cubs".
On the flower bed, consisting of annuals, for them there is also a place. You can experiment with colors and plant height. There is an opportunity to form a complex fantasy pattern on a flowerbed only with the help of antirrinum. The variety of its color variations allows you to give free rein to the imagination.
Low and dwarf bushes can serve as a curb or successfully complement the rockeries. Naturally and beautifully such “cubs” enliven the static look of stones. Ampelnye grades look amazing in hanging pots or as a home pot culture. The use of antirrhinum is universal - it is used equally as a background or, on the contrary, is made a bright flower garden accent.
Know! Groups of "cubs" will become the dominant color on a green lawn.
Antirrinum successfully combined with marigolds. Such a duet, planted in an elongated container and complemented by periwinkle, can become a true decoration of the terrace, porch or balcony. Excellent result is obtained when combined with nasturtium, cosmeyas, chrysanthemums, alissum. The flower garden looks elegant and harmonious. Fine coniferous plants with a spherical crown are an excellent background for such a composition.
Tall hybrids are ideal for cutting. Bouquets of these luxurious flowers look amazing and are quite long. You should not make a mistake, cutting off the top of the bush. In this way, you can only ruin the plant.
With knowledge of planting a lion's mouth in the open field and proper care for it, you can achieve excellent results and become the owner of luxuriously blooming bushes.
The advantages include the unusual shape of the flower, unpretentious care, a large variety of colors and colorful, long flowering in the summer.
The height ranges from 15 to 130 cm. The lion's throat forms a pyramidal branchy bush.
Green branched stems with oval-shaped leaves have a color from light green to dark green.
The flowers are large, collected in inflorescences, 2-4 cm in size.
The shape of the flower is like two lips, if you squeeze the bottom of the flower, it turns out something like a lion's mouth. Hence the name snapdragon.
The color of flowers is varied: yellow, pink, burgundy, red, white with various shades of these colors.
There are varieties where two colors are combined on one flower at once.
The fruit is a small box with many small seeds.
Snapdragon - Popular Varieties
In nature, there are more than 45 species of this plant and up to 1000 varieties.
In the snapdragon distinguished varieties depending on the height of the plant.
- Giant. Plant height from 90 to 130 cm. The central shoot of these plants grows up to 130 cm tall and is characterized by the absence of lower shoots. The flowers of this variety are the largest.
- High. Plant height from 60 to 90 cm. Side shoots in height below the center. It is grown mainly for cutting. The most fragrant varieties of yellow, cut plants can stand for more than a week. Grow best in a sunny place.
- Sredneroslye. Height from 40 to 60 cm. This group includes universal species, grown in flower beds and also go for cutting. Flowers in inflorescence less than in other groups. The size of the flowers is average. The group has a strong branching shoots.
- Undersized. Height from 25 to 40 cm. Main shoot below the side in height. Grown in flowerbeds and borders. They have early flowering periods, but do not bloom as abundantly as other groups. This group is the most popular among gardeners. Beautiful, ornamental flowers, grown on rabatki, flower beds, outdoor flowerpots together with other flowers, creating the decor of the garden.
- Dwarf. Group height from 15 to 25 cm. It has a strong branching shoots, blooms profusely all summer. Mainly grown as annuals for the decoration and design of the garden. In the summer it looks like a colored carpet on the ground. Suitable for breeding in pots, even in room conditions. The flowers are very small, the stems are short.
Antirrinum - photos and description of the plant
The flower is really in shape similar to the open lion's mouth. According to legend, it came about thanks to Hercules, who saved humanity from an aggressive lion. The bloodthirsty monster dwelt in the Nemean forest that was located in ancient Greece. The goddess Hera decided to save people from the evil lion and sent Hercules to destroy the animal. The winner successfully coped with the task, after which Flora created an amazing flower, which has since been given to brave warriors and heroes.
In the common people the plant is also called dogs (antirrinum). Snapdragon - a perennial flower of the birdwort family. But since the plant already in the first year of planting blooms and gives seeds, it is often used as an annual.
Does not require special care, therefore it can even grow a beginner. In nature, the snapdragon grows only in North America and southern Europe. There are about three hundred varieties of plants of various colors (except blue) and height (15-100 cm).
Planting and features of growing antirrinum
Unlike wild species, the garden plant has flowers of larger size and bright color. The flower grows well on neutral fertile soils with a well-developed drainage system. Grow the snapdragon can be in the indoor environment, on the windowsill.
Him popularity among gardeners due to the following factors:
- bloom in the first year after planting,
- bright colors,
- beautiful flowers of original shape,
- long flowering period.
Growing seeds in pots
For decoration of personal plots use the following landing methods:
- Seedling. This method is most common among gardeners. The method consists in pre-growing seedlings in room conditions. Initially, seedlings are grown from seed, which is then planted in open ground or pots.
- Landing in the ground. Quite a complicated method of growing snapdragon, as it requires planting in the ground in early spring and the seedlings may simply not have enough heat. In this case, the probability of obtaining a beautiful lush flower bed is significantly reduced.
First you need to choose the seeds. In a specialized store you will be helped to choose a mixture of colors of the most incredible colors, and according to the pattern on the package - to determine the color compatibility and location of the landings.
The main criterion for selecting plants is height. For growing on a balcony usually choose more undersized (15-20 cm) gradea, in the shape of a ball. The plant has low and wide floral brushes, thanks to which during the flowering period of your dogs, your window sill will play with fabulous colors.
Hybrid varieties whose shoot height does not exceed 30 cm are also ideal for growing in pots.
Sow seeds for seedlings better in April.
For this you need:
- snapdragon seeds,
- little spatula
- soil mixture
- capacity for seedlings (wooden box, plastic flower boxes or separate pots).
In the capacity of the soil is placed in an even layer. Ideally, this is not a heavy loose substrate, purchased in a specialty store. Seeds should be placed thickly, but not very tight.
Lightly push the seeds into the soil and finger sprinkle with a thin layer of substrate (use a sieve for this).
Cover with cling film.
Sprouting seedlings occurs at a temperature of 20-23 ° C. After the sprout appears, hardening can begin. To do this, greenhouses need to be opened first briefly, then gradually increase the ventilation time. As a result, the film is completely removed.
Snapdragon - moisture-loving planttherefore, it is necessary to constantly monitor the condition of the soil and, if necessary, moisten it.
After about a month, two true leaves will appear, which means it’s time to place the seedlings in an individual pot. For more lush flowers, you need to pinch the tops of the plants when they reach 10 cm in height. As a result, side shoots will receive additional stimulus to growth and development.
If you buy seedlings in the store - be sure to pay attention to its appearance. The root system should be well developed, the stem is strong and not too thin, the leaves - a rich green color.
Planting seedlings of antirrinum in the ground
Landing of a lion's pharynx in an open ground needs to be made in late spring - early summer. The terms depend on the climatic conditions and temperature conditions of this or that region. In order for the seedlings to bear the night cooling, you must first grow them and harden them.
Landing is made on a draft-free and wind-protected area, which may be well lit or slightly shaded. The optimal composition of the soil is a mixture of compost, peat and sand.
The soil must be thoroughly moistened. The distance between plants is determined depending on the variety: low-growing species are planted according to the scheme 20 * 20 cm apart, medium-tall ones - 25-30 cm, tall ones - 40-50 cm.
Planted seedlings need periodic loosening of the soil, regular watering and fertilizing.
Diseases and pests
Growing snapdragon is not so difficult, but in any case it is necessary to follow the basic rules of plant care, otherwise pests are possible and various diseases such as septoriosis, gray mold and black leg.
Before proceeding with treatment, the infected flowers should be removed, then the soil should be treated with an antifungal drug (fungicide, etc.).
The larvae of the flies, caterpillars, scale insects and butterflies are the main pests of the lion's throat. To combat them apply special tools that can be purchased at a flower shop.
Collecting seeds of antirrhinum
It is necessary to collect the seeds in a paper bag in order provide them with adequate ventilation. The seed is harvested in immature form and stored in a dry place. The collection is carried out from the lower sections of the peduncle. The tops of the plants are completely cut off and thrown away. The collected seeds are stored at a temperature not higher than +5 ° C in cardboard boxes.
After collecting the seeds, the site should be dug up, the remains of the plant should be burned. If the snapdragon is grown as a perennial - it is necessary to cut the flower, leaving a small process. Cover it with a mixture of sand and peat for the winter.
With all the rules of planting and recommendations for the care of plants you are ensured their rapid growth and development, as well as abundant flowering.
Features of snapdragon
This flower is represented by shrubs, as well as herbaceous plants, which have straight, finely waxy shoots, they are branched and painted green. Their height can vary from 15 to 100 centimeters. Bushes have a pyramidal shape. On top of the sheet plates are alternately located, and below - opposite. Their shape can be lanceolate or ovate-elongated, and the color varies from dark to pale green, with the veins colored red. Fragrant flowers have a relatively large size, they are double-lipped and have an irregular shape. There are both double flowers and simple ones (depending on the variety), they are included in the composition of inflorescences having the shape of an ear. The color of them may be yellow, pale yellow, white, pink, red (all shades), and still there are varieties with two-and three-colored flowers. The fruit is a bilocular multi-seeded box. 1 g contains 5–8 thousand seeds. This plant begins to bloom in July, and ends after the first autumn frosts.
Often the snapdragon, which in the wild grows like a perennial, gardeners grow as an annual. However, if the plant is well maintained, and if conditions are favorable, the frost-resistant snapdragon can endure wintering in the open field. At the same time next year, its flowering will be more spectacular. В садовом дизайне такой цветок растят как бордюрный, однако он может украсить и клумбу и зеленый газон (если львиный зев высадить группами). Еще таким растением украшают террасы и балконы.Today, the ampella varieties of such a flower are becoming increasingly popular with flower growers. Suspended structures can be used to grow them, and they will also be a wonderful decoration of galleries and terraces.
What time should be landed
Planting of lion's pharynx seedlings should be done in the last days of May and the first - in June. At the same time, it is not worthwhile to be afraid of cold snaps at night, since these plants tolerate them quite calmly. These flowers can be planted both in the sunny area and in the shading, however, it is worth considering that it should be protected from gusts of wind, and also be well drained. Suitable soil should be light and rich in nutrients. It is best to grow such a flower mixture consisting of compost, sand, and peat, which are taken in equal shares. Soil acidity should be pH 6–8.
How to plant
The distance between the bushes during the landing depends on the variety of snapdragon. Thus, there should be a distance of 15 centimeters between dwarf varieties, about 20 centimeters between low-growing varieties, 30 centimeters between medium-length varieties, and between 40 and 50 centimeters between tall varieties. After the shrub planted in the open ground takes root, it will grow quickly and become a spectacular flowering plant. We must remember that seedlings should be planted in a well-watered soil in advance.
Diseases and pests
It happens that the bushes are affected by rust, with specks of red color appearing on their surface. Also, this plant is susceptible to infection with blackleg, root and gray rot, Septoria. Diseased plants should be destroyed as soon as possible, then the soil should be processed where they grew as a fungicidal (antifungal) agent. For the lion's throat are dangerous pests such as: larvae of flies, scale insects, caterpillars, as well as butterflies, which are able to lay eggs. It should be remembered that getting rid of diseases or insect pests is much more difficult than preventing infection of the plant. In order to prevent, it is necessary to follow all the recommendations for the care of the lion's throat, so it is necessary to timely destroy sick and infected insects specimens, do not plant flowers very close to each other, should be watered properly, avoiding over-wetting the soil, should be watered under the root, at the same time ensure that the water does not fall on the surface of the sheet plates.
The flowering of such a plant may continue until the first frost occurs in autumn. After the autumn is established, it is necessary that the bushes of snapdragon, which are cultivated as perennial plants, should be cut very shortly, so that the height of the shoots is about 5–8 centimeters. Then you need to mulch the area, sprinkled it with a layer of dried foliage or sawdust mixed with peat. In the case when you have a snapdragon of one-year-old, then after the flowers begin to fade, you should remove them, thus you will avoid self-seeding. After all the flowers on the arrow wilt, it should be cut as short as possible. Thus, you will not let the seeds ripen and crumble on the soil surface. After the onset of deep autumn, it is necessary to dig up the soil where the flowers grew, and burn the remains of barnyard, since harmful insects can settle on them.
For further cultivation and preservation of favorite varieties of pharynx in a flower bed, it is necessary to learn how to propagate correctly. You can do this in several ways:
For proper collection seeds for further reproduction choose healthy and large individuals. The grain of the lion's pharynx is very small, and so that they simply do not dissipate themselves, the seed part of the flower is tied with a cloth and waiting for the seeds to ripen. Save the seeds for the future is better in a cool place and not more than three years.
Cutting the snapdragon is necessary in the spring, cutting young shoots from the uterine bush, which you have spent the winter indoors, on the veranda or in the winter garden. Rooted seedlings relocate to the front garden by the end of May. Planting material thus mined begins its flowering much earlier than its brothers, and has a long flowering period.
Antirrium in landscape design
In the design of flower beds and alpine slides use all kinds of snapdragons. A huge variety of varieties and bright colors made it the leading among all the annual handsome.
Dwarf and undersized flower species are well suited and look on flowerbeds, they are planted along the borders or as colored circles and squares on the lawn. There are types of annual throat, which can be grown on the balcony in a box or in pots. Tall types of antirrhinum suitable mainly for bouquets and will remain in a vase to crescent and will delight with their decorative qualities. The flower of the snapdragon fits perfectly into many flower arrangements.
These plants, depending on the variety, are both quite small and very high. According to this principle, the snapdragon is divided into the following groups.
- Dwarf, maximum 20 cm in length. They decorate borders and flower beds. These anti-rinums are bred in pots as indoor plants. Among them are varieties such as "Sakura Color" and "Candy Shawers F1".
Snapdragon Candy Showers F1 Orange
Undersizedgrowing from 25 to 40 cm. They can also be found on the curbs and flower beds. These include the varieties "Tip-top", "Lampion", "The Hobbit".
Snapdragon ampelny "Lampion"
Averagestretched out to 40–60 cm. Used for landscape design or creating bouquets. The most common: pink "Ruby", yellow "Golden Monarch" and pale pink "Lipstick Silver."
Snapdragon (Antirrinum) Golden Monarch
High, up to 60–90 cm long. They make wonderful fragrant bouquets or original flower beds. Cut flower can stand in the water for more than a week. Best of them: terry varieties "Madame Butterfly F1", yellow "Canary", pink "Anna Herman".
Snapdragon F1 "Madame Butterfly"
Tulips and snapdragon on one flowerbed
Antirrinum propagated usually with seedlings. High varieties will bloom later than their stunted counterparts. This should be taken into account when sowing.
Seedlings of snapdragon
On a note! Plant seeds are allowed to sow immediately in open ground. This applies only to low varieties of snapdragon. A good time for sowing is the first decade of May. Flowering should be expected later than in plants planted in a seedling way.
If you do not destroy faded antirrinums, then it is likely that, having survived the winter, their seeds will germinate in the thawed soil. Such plants give strong magnificent flowering bushes.
Bright variety of snapdragon
When to plant seeds for seedlings
The time of sowing of seeds depends on the climatic conditions of the region and the variety of plant. High antirrynum sow in the third decade of February. Low and medium - during March. Sowing of dwarf varieties is allowed until April 15.
Snapdragon seeds photo
In the northern regions, the snapdragon can be grown only by seedling. Planting in the open ground is made later due to the fact that during almost the whole spring the return of cold weather is likely. This must be taken into account when planting seeds for seedlings. Grow antirrinum as a perennial plant in a cold climate will not work.
On a note! Sufficiently developed plants are transplanted into beds only in late spring or early summer. During this period, the flowers will not suffer from a decrease in temperature at night.
Further care of the plant does not require much effort. It must be periodically weeded, even the antirrinum also needs frequent loosening of the soil. During the period of active growth, the culture should be fed with a complex of mineral fertilizers. It is undesirable to allow both waterlogging of the soil and lack of moisture. Watering should be moderate. Faded inflorescences need to be cleaned in a timely manner.
Antirrinum (snapdragon). Types and terms of work during cultivation
Snapdragon - growing and care
Diseases of snapdragon
If the root system of the seedlings was exposed to excessive moisture, the antirrinum can get root rot. This can finally ruin the shoots. To cope with the problem, you can use a drug called "Hom." A teaspoon means diluted with 1 liter of water and treated seedlings. Reprocessing is carried out after transferring the plants to open ground. To do this, for 10 m2 beds take 1 liter of solution. The procedure must be done before flowering.
Diseases and pests of antirrinum
In cool, wet summer there are suitable conditions for the development of rust. On the foliage, red spots quickly spread, which lead to the death of the flower. It is recommended to combat this disease with the help of special fungicides (“Cumulus”, “Strobe”, “Abiga-Peak”, “Poliram”) and one-percent Bordeaux fluid. Effective remedies include sulfur. Affected plants need to be burned.
On a note! Gray spots with a yellow edging on the leaves of a snapdragon indicate evidence of infection with Septoria. It happens, as a rule, in the hot, but summer abounding with rains. To eliminate the infection, such means as Skor, Previcur, Fundazol, Acrobat MC, Ordan, Profit Gold are used.
The following vermin pose a danger to the lion's throat:
- avocado scab,
- gall nematode.
To destroy them, the plants and the land on which they are planted should be treated with insecticides. Infected bushes must be removed from the flower bed and burned.
Snapdragon - a beautiful flower, which is undeservedly forgotten by many growers
The snapdragon until late autumn is able to surprise with its lush color, as it is not afraid of light frosts. With the observance of simple rules, these colorful flowers will be able to plant and successfully grow every amateur gardener on their land.
Sowing the snapdragon
On the territory of our country, the flowers of lion's pharynx are grown by sowing seeds. This is the easiest and most affordable method of reproduction, especially since the seeds in the middle zone are well matured on the plant.
In the southern regions can be carried out sowing directly in the soil in early spring, as soon as the soil warms up. In the middle lane and the suburbs, in order to admire the flowering of "dogs" already from June, the flower is grown through seedlings. North, usually held in March - early April.
Ground for the flower snapdragon is prepared from a mixture of turf land and large river sand, with the addition of perlite and vermiculite. You can use the purchased ground "Violet". For the prevention of the occurrence of diseases, the soil is shed with hot raspberry solution of potassium permanganate or Fitosporin. The moistened earthen mixture is laid out on the seedling cassettes or boxes, compacted.
The seeds of antirrhinum are very small, for uniform sowing they are mixed with dry sand in a ratio of 1 to 3, and scattered over the surface of the earth. You can first pour the snow on the surface of the substrate, and then sow the seeds. Melt water is a natural growth stimulant for sunflower seeds. Crops covered with glass or film are removed in a warm place (good temperature for germination +24 degrees).
The seedlings of the lion's mouth appear on the 12th - 15th day, the shelter is removed during the week, gradually accustoming the seedlings to fresh air. Seedlings of the flower are demanding of lighting, but from the direct burning sun rays, the snapdragon must be protected.
Important! For the prevention of seedling disease "black foot" it is recommended to alternate watering with plain water with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. After watering the soil around the seedlings need to loosen.
In phase 2 - 3 of these leaves, antirrhinum seedlings are seated in separate cups or peat pots. 10 days after the picking, the snapdragon is fed with complex mineral fertilizer according to the instructions. Before planting seedlings in open ground, for about a week, the central sprout over a 5th leaf is pinned to the plants to stimulate tillering.
In May, when the threat of sudden drops in temperature is over, antirrinum seedlings are planted in flower gardens. Tall varieties are placed according to a pattern of 40 by 50 cm, medium growth - 30 by 30 cm, with short intervals of 20 cm is enough.
Snapdragon in the flower garden
A variety of sizes, shapes and shades of antirrinum made it a popular flyer among gardeners around the world. Large bright candles of lion's pharynx look spectacular in the center of the flower beds, surrounded by short bells, pansies, petunias and marigolds.
Fragrant "dogs" are planted along the paths in the foreground of elongated flower beds. Dwarf varieties of plants feel great in a limited space of flowerpots and flowerpots. They can decorate the balconies, terraces, porch.
Tall antirrynums stand perfectly in cut up to 12-14 days, and are an important component of summer fragrant bouquets.
See also a video on the topic: