Airy and light as a flight of a bird, the cake from the past “Flight” according to GOST of the USSR will appeal to all those who are bored by “that time” and simply to all lovers of sweets. Many people call it sugary sweet, but, missing a crispy delicacy, they cook more and more. You rarely buy a high-quality cake in the store: instead of butter, you can feel margarine, and very few nuts. Meanwhile, the simplest recipe and the ingredients will be in each of us in the kitchen. Let's cook and enjoy a crispy delicious cake!
Flying cake at home, recipe:
Ingredients for the dough:
- Peanuts - 130 g. (Almonds, cashews, walnuts can be used)
- Egg whites - 5 pcs. (if eggs are large, four is enough)
- Sugar - 320 g
- Vanilla sugar - 1 bag (7 grams).
Ingredients for cream:
- Chicken egg yolk - 1 pc.
- Milk - 125 ml.
- Sugar - 190 gr.
- Butter - 190 gr.
- Cognac - 1 tbsp. spoon
- Cocoa powder - 1 tsp
How to cook the cake "Flight" at home
First prepare the nuts. The classic is meringue cake with peanuts, but you can use any of your own. Nuts are very influential on the perception of the cake, so choose your favorite.
Dried peanuts (130 g) in a hot frying pan until they are roasted (if you have children in your house, fry with a stock, nuts are delicious and kids love to feast on them).
Peanuts are easy to peel, grinding between the palms. We send the peeled nuts to the blender.
Turn into a nut crumb medium size.
Ground nuts set aside (they will be useful to us for making meringue cake).
Now we need to beat the whites 5 eggs and 320 gr. sugar in thick meringue cream.
Rules on how to beat whites with sugar, a lot. Each housewife finds its own approach to the preparation of meringues and protein creams. Follow the simple recommendations, and everything will work out!
Eggs should be at room temperature - so the proteins will beat faster and the sugar in the warm proteins will be easier to dissolve.
So, they separated the whites from the yolks into a deep bowl without traces of fat (you can use a lemon crust on the inner surface of the bowl for control.) Not a drop of yolk should get into the whites, this can spoil the beating.
Begin to beat the whites, gradually increasing the speed. The protein mass turns into foam.
Now in small portions (without stopping to whip proteins) we pour sugar. I usually measure the amount of sugar required by the recipe, put this volume next to a bowl in which I beat, take a tablespoon and add sugar according to one article. spoon, whipping at the same time, until you spend the entire amount specified in the recipe. The essence of the gradual introduction of sugar is that it should not fall to the bottom, but should immediately interfere with proteins.
The technology of making air-nut cakes is very similar to the preparation of Yablonka meringue biscuit cake (which we made with you last Friday in the Friday Cake category).
If we add sugar in large volumes, half of them will lie on the bottom of the stone and the meringue will not beat up. When the sugar is mixed, you can add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (in the recipe according to GOST this is not indicated, but I always add meringue to the strength).
Lemon juice can be replaced with a pinch of citric acid (at the tip of the knife).
After adding lemon juice, beat for a few more minutes until resistant peaks. The protein mass should not drain from the corolla when trying to lift it on the shoulder blades. If on the surface of the mass to make drifts and irregularities, they must retain shape and not spread.
Before adding nuts, we set aside several st. spoonful of cream to make white meringues for decoration. In the rest of the protein foam add chopped nuts. Stir.
We spread on the baking sheet two shortcakes from the meringue (we try to fit both on the same baking sheet, therefore it is better to make a small diameter). The rest of the mass is deposited in the form of strips or individual meringues (they will be used for sprinkling the cake). We also use white cream for those meringues that will be used for decoration (you can start planting them so that you do not have to wash the pastry bag).
In the free space of the baking tray, we place the remaining meringues in the form of strips or individual meringues (they will be used to decorate and sprinkle the cake). Before putting off the protein mass, be sure to cover the baking sheet with parchment paper.
Meringue is baked in the oven for the first 10 minutes at 140 ° C (this time is needed to fix them exactly in such a lush form), then reduce the temperature to 110 ° C and bake for 1.5-2 hours. Baking time depends on the power of your oven and the size of the meringues. Small meringues will dry out quickly (after 40-60 minutes you can already take out). When the cakes are prepared (large cakes can be dried for 2 and 3 hours, depending on your oven), leave them in the oven until it cools completely.
How to check the meringues for readiness?
Slightly open the oven after the allotted time and run your finger over the meringue surface - it should be completely dry, no stickiness - either at the edges of the cake or in the middle! If you gently knock on a dry meringue cake, you get the feeling that the sound inside is empty and deaf.
If the meringue is dry, it quietly “rides” on the parchment surface. You can turn it over and see a dry bottom. All these signs tell us that the meringue is ready and you can turn off the oven, leaving it there to cool. Even if the large cakes were not completely separated from the parchment (but all the other signs of readiness were), after drying they are usually easily removed.
Charlotte cream for the cake "Flight"
To make Charlotte cream, mix the yolk of one egg with milk (125 ml). Stir the mixture until smooth.
Put the cream on the fire, start to heat up and add sugar (190 gr.)
Stir until smooth and continue to boil until boiling.
When the syrup boils and foam cap appears, boil for another 1-2 minutes.
Pour the prepared syrup into another dish so that it quickly cools to room temperature.
In the meantime, start beating the butter (190 g) at room temperature to a light state.
If you are sure that the syrup is cold and both masses (oil and syrup) are at the same room temperature, you can pour the syrup in small portions, whipping butter together with a mixer.
At the end of beating (when all the syrup has already been added), pour 1 tbsp into the cream. a spoon of brandy. Let the cream cool in the fridge (may take 1 hour).
Ready thick cream is used to assemble the cake. We put a small amount on the bottom of the serving plate, in which we will serve the cake. This will help fix the cake in one position.
Put the first meringue cake on a dish, glue it. Smear cream on top.
We cover with the next cake layer (it is better to turn it upside down so that the cake looks smoother). Cover the cake with cream on the top and sides. Leave 3-4 tbsp. cream spoon for decorating the cake on top.
Meringues, which we dried to decorate, turn into small and medium crumb (we break it with our hands). I like it when the baby is different in size: the total mass is as small as dust, but there are also large pieces. In my opinion with such sprinkling cake looks spectacular.
We sprinkle the sides of the cake with a crumb, thanks to the cream sides, they easily stick.
A small amount of cream left to decorate, mix with cocoa (you need to add 1 teaspoon).
Chocolate cream is placed in a pastry bag with a toothed nozzle.
Set aside small cream decorations around the entire circumference of the cake.
Top lay out the small meringues.
You can decorate the cake in some other way. You can cover the top of the cake with chocolate cream completely, without patterned decorations. You can fall asleep cake meringue crumbs. There are no exact rules in the decoration - act as your fantasy prompts - let it fly!
Air cake "Flight" is ready! Delicate cream and crunchy cakes harmoniously blend and are eaten very quickly!
The cake is sweet, delicate, crunchy - a great treat for a cup of hot tea!
I will be glad to answer your questions, write, ask! Take pictures of your cakes and lay out in the comments. I am very happy and interesting to read photo reviews!
If you cook a cake for this recipe and want to share the photo in instagram, please put the tag #pirogeevo or #pirogeevo so that I can find your masterpieces. Thank!
What is this cake?
The history of the origin and the name of the cake “Flying” is unknown, at least in one reliable source of such dessert does not indicate anything. But it is very similar to the famous "Kiev" cake, its basis is also meringue. The cream is used oil, so to call a low-calorie dish just will not work.
How to cook?
How to make a cake "Flight"? To do this, you need the following ingredients:
- 170 grams of egg whites (i.e. about five medium sizes)
- 320 grams of granulated sugar
- 130 grams of peanuts,
- one or two bags of vanilla.
For the preparation of butter cream:
- one egg yolk,
- 200 grams of granulated sugar
- 100 ml of milk,
- 200 grams of butter,
- 1 tablespoon of brandy
- half a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
Description of the cooking process:
- First you need to fry the nuts. It is best to do it in the oven at 170-180 degrees for about fifteen minutes. Then peel the peanuts and chop them with a knife or chop them in another way, but not too finely, the pieces should still be felt.
- Now proceed to the preparation of meringue: whisk the egg whites to form a mass with stable peaks. Then add sugar and vanilla and beat the mixture again. Put a tablespoon in a pastry bag, this part is required for decoration. Next, add the peanuts, mix everything. Separate a tablespoon of this mixture.
- Cover the baking sheet with parchment, for convenience, draw on it two circles with a diameter of about 25-30 centimeters, apply an egg-nut mass on them evenly. Bake cakes in the oven at 100 degrees for about two hours.
- Separately bake the sprinkles, laying out the deferred portion of the meringue. Also prepare the decorations by squeezing small portions of protein foam from the pastry bag.
- Proceed to the preparation of the cream. To do this, you first need to make an egg-milk syrup. Mix the yolk, milk and sugar, over a low heat bring the mixture to a boil, and then cook, stirring constantly, for about 15-20 minutes. The composition should be thick.
- Next, beat the butter with a mixer and, without stopping the process of beating, pour the ready syrup in a thin stream. Then add the brandy and mix everything again. Separate a portion of the cream (about two tablespoons), mix with cocoa. Also separate about the same amount of cream and leave to continue to use for decoration too.
- The last stage is the build. Put one cake, grease it with half of the cream, put the second cake on top, spread the whole cake (including the sides) with the remaining cream.
- A small portion of the nut meringue, which you cooked separately, crumble and sprinkle with the side of the cake.
- Decorate the top with chocolate and white cream, as well as protein figures.
- Send the cake for about a couple of hours in the fridge so that it is soaked, then serve for a holiday or for a family or friendly tea party.
Some useful tips:
- You should not try to change the recipe, as the proportions of the ingredients and the sequence of cooking steps are very important, this is what allows you to achieve the necessary texture of meringue and cream.
- It is impossible to replace the butter cream with a lighter cream or sour cream, as they can partially dissolve the meringues, and then the cake will not be so airy and stable.
- Peanuts can be replaced with other nuts, such as hazelnuts, cashews or almonds.
- Do not replace butter with margarine: firstly, it has a completely different taste, secondly, the consistency of the finished cream will differ from the desired.
- Cognac gives the cream a pleasant aroma, but this ingredient is not necessary to use, it is not the main one. The same can be said about cocoa, because this component is used to decorate and impart a light chocolate flavor.
- To make the meringue more airy, add a small pinch of salt to them before churning the proteins.
- To estimate the density of the whipped protein mass and understand that it is ready, turn the bowl over. The mixture should remain in place, because ideally it will be dense and stable.
- It is best to send the dessert in the fridge not for two hours, but for the whole night, then it will become even more delicious.
- To make the cakes stable and not flatten during the baking process, use well-cooled proteins.
- Sugar can be replaced with powder. Firstly, it will make the taste more delicate, and secondly, you will definitely get the necessary foam consistency, which will simplify the task.
- If you wish, you can experiment with the decor. For example, you can use cocoa, grated or melted chocolate (both white and dark). But fruits and berries, most likely, will not fit, although, as they say, "there is no taste and color for the comrades." You will probably like this option too.
Flying Cake - the basic principles of cooking
The combination of brittle meringue and tender cream makes the dessert just unique. The cake seemed especially delicious with coffee.
Today, almost every housewife can cook the most delicate meringues at home. To do this, proteins are separated from the yolks and placed them in a dry dish. Gradually, adding sugar, whites the proteins to form a white dense mass. Chopped nuts are added to whipped whites: peanuts or cashews. They are pre-peeled, ground, and roasted in moderate heat, stirring constantly.
Deco covered with baking paper and spread whipped whites with nuts in the form of two cakes. Send in the oven and dried to a state of meringue. As a rule, it takes about two hours. The temperature should be from 50 to 70 C.
Then prepare the butter, cream or custard. Ready meringue cakes are spread on a dish, greasing each cream. Top and sides of the cake are also coated. The meringue cake can be alternated with biscuit.
Recipe 1. Cake "Flight" according to GOST
vanilla sugar - bag,
granulated sugar - 320 g,
five egg whites.
drain oil - 125 g,
vanilla sugar - bag,
granulated sugar - 190 g,
1. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry dish, add a pinch of salt and beat until hard peaks form. Gradually add sugar, without ceasing to beat, until you get a dense white mass, which should not flow out if you turn the dishes.
2. Spoon whipped proteins lay in the cornet with curly nozzle. Peel nuts, chop in a blender and fry in a dry frying pan. Add the nuts in the meringue, mix and set aside another spoon, only with the nuts.
3. Deco cover the parchment. Put the protein mass on it in the form of two lozenges, each with a diameter of 20 cm. Set apart arbitrary figurines separately from the cornet. Dry the meringues for about two hours at 75 C. Remove the small figures earlier.
4. Combine yolk with milk, add vanilla and white sugar. Stir and put on slow fire. Boil, stirring continuously, for about four minutes. Beat the soft butter until it brightens, without stopping the beating process, gradually add warm milk-egg mixture. At the end, add brandy.
5. Lubricate the cake meringue cream. Put another cake on top. Spread the remaining cream evenly over it and lubricate the sides. Crumble the small meringues with a knife and garnish with the resulting crumbs on all sides.
Recipe 2. Cake "Flying" with prunes
half a glass of prunes,
two sachets of vanilla sugar
a pack of oil drained.,
1. Peanut peel, put on the deco and roast in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Then place in a blender and chop.
2. Deco lay a new sheet of baking paper and draw two identical circles. Wash prunes, cover with hot water and leave for ten minutes. Then dry it on a paper napkin and cut it into small pieces.
3. Five egg whites, whisk with a mixer until resistant peaks. Gradually add 300 g of white sugar, mixing it with a bag of vanilla. Continue to beat for another eight minutes, until you get a dense foam. A couple of spoons set aside for decoration. Add nuts to the remaining mass. Stir.
4. Lay out the protein mass across the diameter of the circles. Next to otsadite a few small bezheshek for decoration. Dry for two hours at 100 C. Ensure that the meringue does not darken.
5. Mix the yolk with 200 g of granulated sugar and 100 ml of milk. Put on the minimum fire and boil from the moment of boiling up, constantly stirring, a couple of minutes. Cool it down.
6. Beat the butter with a bag of vanilla sugar. Gradually add the custard, whipping incessantly. Set aside a spoonful of cream and add a little cocoa. Stir.
7. Carefully remove the cake from the deco, cool and cover with a layer of cream, spread out the prune pieces. Put a second meringue on top. Smear the surface and sides of the cake with cream and garnish with small rings, left with cocoa cream and prunes.
Preparation of dishes step by step with a photo:
В рецепт классического торта Полет входят следующие ингредиенты: сахарный песок и ванильный сахар, сливочное масло (жирностью не менее 72%), очищенный арахис, яичные белки, молоко (любой жирности), яичный желток, коньяк и несладкий какао-порошок. Кстати сказать, белки у меня были заморожены, а потом просто оттаяли за ночь в холодильнике. Я часто готовлю блюда на яичных желтках, поэтому белки просто собираю в пакет и храню в морозилке. There is no difference between fresh and frozen proteins for meringue.
First of all, it is necessary to fry the peeled peanuts, so that it becomes crispy, ruddy and fragrant. Can be on the stove, and you want - in the oven or microwave.
When the nuts turn red well, let them cool slightly so as not to burn the hands, and chop them with a knife with a rather fine crumb or chop them in a blender.
The result is a rather fine crumb with interspersed larger particles. I left a tablespoon of large pieces to decorate the finished cake.
Then turn on to warm the oven at 100 degrees. If you have a regular gas stove, surely the minimum temperature will be 150 degrees, so for now we’ll put it on, and then I will tell you what to do. We turn to the preparation of French meringue, that is, we will beat the egg whites with sugar. So, besides the products we need the right utensils and a mixer. We take a bowl, wash it and dry thoroughly. I also advise you to degrease the dishes with lemon juice, and then again thoroughly rub it dry. Cold proteins are poured into the bowl (170 grams is about 5 proteins from very large eggs or 6 large ones).
Begin to beat egg whites at low revs, gradually increasing the speed to medium. When the proteins begin to foam and become airy, sprinkle granulated sugar (320 grams) and a tablespoon of vanilla sugar in portions. We increase the mixer speed to maximum and beat the meringue, not forgetting about sugar. If you use a planetary mixer, it turns out much easier, because your hands are free. Use a hand mixer to whip squirrels as if we were drawing a figure eight or a sign of infinity. This is necessary so that the mass is whipped evenly. In general, whipping proteins will take you about 10-15 minutes. When the sugar is completely dissolved, the mass will be as it should. See what a finished meringue looks like - it is thick and dense, while fluffy. Excellent holds the shape and does not even think to deform.
We postpone a couple of tablespoons of meringue from the total mass, and add the rest of the chopped nuts already in time to cool down the rest.
Gently mix chopped peanuts in the meringue - 10-12 movements is enough.
We take a piece of paper for baking and on the reverse side with a pencil draw two circles with a diameter of 20-25 centimeters. Such a discrepancy is a purely voluntary matter and depends on the size of your dish on which you are going to serve the finished cake. We shift the meringue to paper, visually dividing it into 2 equal parts.
Spoon, spatula or spatula evenly distribute the protein-nut mass over the paper, giving it the shape of circles.
We transfer the parchment on a baking sheet (and you can do everything on it at once). We also put off a piece of French meringue without nuts — we also set it on paper. To decorate the finished cake, we’ll make small bezhes, and just distribute the rest with a flat cake, in order to check the readiness of the main cakes. This part of the meringue will go to the sides of the Flying cake. We place the baking sheet with the blanks in a preheated oven to an average level. About the temperature: to make about 100 degrees in the gas oven, we keep the minimum temperature, while slightly opening the door. You can put a matchbox in the gap or an iron cut for cookies. Dry cakes at 100 degrees for about 2 hours (maybe more or less - depending on the nature of your assistant). Every half hour, it is advisable to turn the baking sheet so that the far side is closer to the door - so the meringue will dry evenly.
While the protein-nut cakes are dried, we prepare a milky-egg syrup, which is then added to the butter. This will be Charlotte's cream. Put a raw egg yolk into a small saucepan with a thick bottom or stew-pan, add 200 grams of granulated sugar and 100 milliliters of milk.
Mix all with a whisk or using a mixer until a light foam is formed and the mass is uniform.
Put the dishes on a slow fire and cook at a constant (!) Stirring syrup about 2-3 minutes after boiling. Do not leave the stove for a minute, as the yolk can coagulate, and the syrup can burn to the bottom of the pan. The result is a completely homogeneous, smooth, delicate custard, which in consistency resembles liquid condensed milk.
Pour the finished syrup into the bowl.
Put a piece of cling film over the top (end-to-end so as not to form a crust) and cool to room temperature. It is now cold, so it is advisable to take the syrup to the balcony, where it will literally cool for 5-7 minutes.
The final stage of preparation is the preparation of the very Charlotte butter cream for Flying Cake. In a suitable dish put soft butter (200 grams). It must be removed in advance from the refrigerator and left on the table for 3-4 hours. Add a tablespoon of vanilla sugar.
Beat everything with a mixer at high speed for at least 5 minutes, until the oil becomes airy and turns white. Cold butter you have to beat for about 20 minutes, so do not forget to let it warm. Now literally a tablespoon of milk cream syrup is added to the butter (our custard is at room temperature), continuing to beat the mixture at high speed.
When all the syrup is combined with butter and you get a lush, smooth and slightly loose cream, add a tablespoon of brandy and punch it all together for about a minute.
Charlotte cream is ready - it is very gentle and fluffy.
Lays a tablespoon from the total cream and add a half teaspoon of cocoa powder there.
All thoroughly mixed, to get the chocolate cream Charlotte to decorate the cake Flying.
But then everything went wrong. Rather, not quite everything, and cake layers for the cake. The essence of my problem was the following: I really wanted to dry them as soon as possible, so I briefly closed the oven door, thereby increasing the temperature. Understandably, the sugar began to melt rapidly, turning into caramel tears, and the meringues spread out into rather flat flat ones. Conclusion and lesson to you (and me too) for the future: never try to speed up the process! Do as you need. In general, I didn’t wait 2 hours, but roasted and chopped peanuts again, beat whites with sugar and set a new batch of cake tart to dry. By the way, the meringue cookies for the decor had time to dry in 40 minutes, so I got them first from the oven. That shapeless layer of meringue without nuts was also completely dried and reddened additionally (so that the sides of the cake were not too pale) and were ground into crumb by the hands.
Here it is. Here they are, my nut meringue cakes, which I dried according to the rules. Temperature - no more than 100 (it is possible less) degrees and time - not less than 1,5-2 hours. Unsuccessful bezeki did not throw it away, do not worry - in our family, everyone likes protein crisps (except for me), so I finally dried them, broke them, and packed them in a container to the delight of sweet teeth. It is important to cool the correct cakes completely (they cool down quickly enough), only then remove them from the parchment.
You see, here I turned over one cake - it is well behind the paper, it does not crumble and does not break.
We collect cake Flying (everything is the most difficult, if you can call it that, we overcame it). We take a flat plate or dish and put the first meringue cake on it. Since I have all the dishes are not 100% flat, I put the cake upside down.
Apply on the cake about half of the Charlotte cream and spread it evenly over the entire surface of the meringue. Here it is important to take into account one nuance: if you do not allow the meringue to cool completely, the oil cream will simply flow from its heat.
From above we put the second protein cake - I get flat (that is, bottoms) sides to each other.
We cover the top and sides of the cake with the second half of the butter cream.
We sprinkle the sides of the cake with the crumb from step 23. Just take a piece of crushed meringue in the palm and gently press it to the cream. We remove the excess with a knife or right hand.
Cake Flying is ready, but it is still desirable to decorate it - it's up to your imagination.
You can otsadit chocolate cream flowers or some squiggles. I just drew stripes.
Spread out the bezheski on top, otsadila small kruglyashi remaining chocolate cream and sprinkle with a tablespoon of roasted peanuts. Cake Flying according to GOST ready. We give it to stand in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours and you can enjoy.
Unfortunately, to make a perfect and beautiful cut in this cake will not work, because it is based on meringues. But in the presence of a sharp knife with a long blade, the portioned pieces will be more or less even. Polinochka, thank you very much for this sweet and crisp order - my homework was delighted with Flying Cake!
Flying cake, recipe:
- 170g of proteins - so much will come from five small eggs,
- 520g of sugar (320 g for cake layers and 200 g for cream),
- 1 bag of vanilla sugar
- 130g of nuts
- 200g of oil
- 100ml milk,
- 1st c. spoons of brandy (I use white rum),
- ½ tsp cocoa
As I bake the cake "Flying", the recipe:
- I chop and fry nuts until golden. You can take hazelnuts, almonds or peanuts. What do you like more. I did both with the other and with the third. And I can say for sure: the taste of the Flying cake is very dependent on nuts. I like best with hazelnuts. With peanuts, you get a classic taste.
- Squirrels are separated from the yolks. Beat in dry dishes with dry whisks in a cool foam that does not fall off if you pick it up with a spoon.
- I put 320 g of sugar in squirrels and beat it for a long time, more than five minutes. The result is a very dense mass. (It is also very tasty, similar to protein cream, with which they used to make cake baskets.)
- I add to the mass of nuts, mix.
- Flying cake is usually made in the shape of a circle or a square, but I don’t have time to wait until two shortcakes are baked one after the other. Therefore, I make a rectangular cake: bake two cakes on one baking sheet. I cover the baking sheet with baking paper. This must be done without fail, otherwise you risk picking off the cakes with pieces from a baking sheet - what a cake! Then I spread two rectangular cakes, leaving a distance of about three centimeters between them. A certain amount (about three tablespoons) of the protein-nut mass is put between the cake layers so that they do not touch the cake layers themselves. Of these meringue tortillas, I will then make a crumb for sprinkling the sides of the cake.
- I put the cakes in the oven and bake them there for about two - two and a half hours at 110 degrees. After baking, the cakes remain very delicate and fragile, so I carefully pick them up. When baked for the first time, one cake broke. I didn’t even know that the meringues in “Flight” are in fact so tender.
While the cakes are baked, you can cook the cream. We did this butter cream on milk syrup at school in labor classes. It was interesting to repeat the experience so many years later.
Flying cream cake, recipe
- First boil the syrup. In a small saucepan, mix the milk and yolk until smooth. Add 200 g of sugar.
- We put on the stove and, while constantly stirring, bring to a boil. Cook, continuing to stir until the syrup thickens. I note that you have to interfere quite intensively, because the syrup is trying to boil it out.
- Then remove the saucepan from the heat, pour in the vanilla sugar, stir and cool.
- Meanwhile, the oil, which must be removed from the refrigerator beforehand, so that it becomes soft, beat with a mixer and gradually begin to add syrup. Beat until you get a lush cream.
- Pour a tablespoon of brandy. I replace cognac with white rum.
Flying cake assembly
Classic cake "Flight" is made with white cream and dark brown cream monograms. I have no time to fiddle with decorations, so I make a simplified version: I mix half the cream with cocoa. I cover the bottom cake with white cream, the top one - light brown. To make the top of the cake even, I turn the upper cake over with a less smooth surface inside.
Part of the cream I leave in order to cover the sides of the cake.
The remaining nut meringue (what we laid out with a spoon between the cakes) I crumble into small pieces and roll off the sides of the cake. This is most conveniently done with a clean new sponge. We sprinkle crumbs on the sponge and quickly put it on the side of the cake. We leave a little crumb in order to make a nice “frame” of a few millimeters around the perimeter of the cake.
When the cake "Flight" is ready, you need to hold it in the fridge until the cream hardens.
If you want to make a cake one-on-one, like the one that was sold in Soviet times, use not vanilla, but natural vanilla for the cream. Nostalgic taste is guaranteed.